23 // Miracles

A/N
[ Hi! I hope someone is reading this 🥺
I also hope that if you've made it this far, you're enjoying the story! I'm here to tell you that I just got my wisdom teeth out, and the surgery went well!
I'll be so very bored at home for the next few days, so expect many updates to come <3
thanks for all the votes and comments! enjoy ]

JUNGKOOKS POV:

My head rattles as the orange vehicle screeches down the west coast highway. Yoongi grips the steering wheel and constantly changes his speed, trying to find what number makes the gate we ripped away sound least annoying.

Jimin sits with a hand on his head, sighing every few moments, obviously agitated with the situation.

"There's traffic up here again hyung." I point up ahead at the jumble of cars that block the road, before turning to my right where Jimin holds a map over his knees.

"God damn it," Suga grits behind his teeth "let me see if I can find a way around it."

I let him do as he pleases, and stick a finger onto Jimin's map, following the route we've taken so far. There's only one bold blue highway, the only one we've driven on since leaving the school.

"This is taking way too long. I told you we should've taken back roads but no one ever listens to me." Jimin argues, removing the hand from his head and crossing his arms over his chest.

This was just another one of the many traffic stops we've come up to, each time Yoongi having to drive through the grass, around the abandoned cars, or take a detour for a while before returning to the highway.

Suga shakes his head as he spins the wheel and veers off of the road. "You think everybody and their mother in LA didn't think of that same thing when getting the hell out of town Jimin? The back roads are probably backed up too."

We've traveled south, away from Malibu and towards central Los Angeles, and I gulp harshly in my throat, knowing Jimin was probably right. As we get closer to the heart of the city, the traffic is only going to get worse.

The traffic goes on and on as Suga drives through the grass, banging the gate on each vehicle we pass. "You know what? You do it your way Jimin. I'll walk." My hyung jumps out of the car and begins to calmly stride down the byway.

"What?! I can't drive Min Suga hyung, you know that! Get back here." Jimin calls, immediate regret laced in his voice.

"Stop backseat driving then!" Yoongi argues, yelling loudly over his shoulder, but not looking back at us. Jimin was about to speak again, opening his door and running after our hyung, but I interrupt him.

"Both of you stop, this isn't funny." I throw in, struggling to unbuckle my seatbelt. "Let's just keep going, walking isn't any faster than either of your ideas!"

I poke my head out of the drivers side door, standing on the helpful step to get into a large vehicle such as this one. The two of them stomp away like children, not very far away yet, when a new noise catches my ears in the silence.

A slight buzz of breathy snarls, heard behind us. It sounds like a swarm of bees, and when I turn around, several zombies march along in our direction. They come around the corner, more and more, as if it never stops.

A horde.

"HEY! HYUNGS GET BACK HERE NOW! THERES A FUCKING HORDE!" My heart beats loudly and my two friends spin on their heels, taking off running back toward the truck and I.

Jimin jumps inside quickly, shortly followed by our hyung, who repeats, "fuck fuck fuck" under his breath.

Yoongi turns the keys in the ignition to start up the engine again, but it struggles and sputters loudly. "What?!" Yoongi asks no one in particular, turning the keys again.

Just our luck, the vehicle has no intention of starting, and Jimin shouts loudly, looking in his side mirror as the infected approach us.

The three of us mutter and whine in fear, not knowing what to do, and just as Yoongi opens his door to once again escape the car, an unidentified driver joins our side.

Coming down one of the back roads and screeching to a halt at our side, a golf cart, looking very tiny compared to our truck, comes parallel with us. "IM YOUR HOPE, J-HOPE! Get in, lessgo!" The recognizable driver happily welcomes us.

Without being able to believe my eyes, I stifle a laugh and follow Yoongi out the door, doing just as J-Hope orders.

My heart bursts with joy as Suga gets in the passenger seat, and Jimin and I in the next two. The cart seats six in total, and the last two chairs that face behind us remain empty, neither Jimin or I wanting to face the horde head on.

Dust kicks up at the infected while Hoseok hyung takes off, just as the leading infected reach out for us from a few feet back.

"It's good to see you buddy," Jimin pats Hoseok on the shoulder, before leaning in closer to Suga's ear, "I'm sorry for arguing with you hyung." Yoongi nods and holds back a hand to shake with Jimin, the two of them making up quickly.

"Where'd you find this thing?" I ask J-Hope, unable to hide the joyful grin on my face.

"You wouldn't believe how many golf courses there are in Malibu Kookie, SO MANY!" He laughs, and I smile at him from the rear view mirror, the air cooling off and dusk approaching as the sun drops below the sea to our right.

The day was coming to a beautiful end, and I long for this reunion to be the first of many. Although for now, the four of us have a lot to catch up on and discuss.

YOUR POV:

"I spy with my little eye, something blue." Taehyung tells me, and I giggle at his words, seeing his signature boxy smile out of my peripheral vision.

"Is it the ocean?" I answer, watching as the beautiful sea moves along the road with us. "Damn you're good!" He responds almost immediately, slamming a hand on the dash board of the jeep.

I grin back at him for just a second before turning my eyes back to the road, and I shiver slightly as anxiety bubbles inside me. I've never driven on a cliff side road before, and the last thing I'd want is to accidentally roll the jeep off of the shoulder.

"Your turn." V says happily, staring out his window, the smile still apparent on his face.

I stare off in thought, feeling lucky to be with Taehyung in this moment. I can't help but wonder which one of our friends may be off on their own, scared and confused. It freezes up my body and electric sadness hurls through my veins with every heartbeat.

"y/n-ssi?" Tae asks, now facing me.

"Right sorry." I shake out of my trance, searching the landscape for something to spy my eye on.

Though truth be told, my heart isn't in the game, I don't want to find anything, I want to share a deep moment with Taehyung.

"Do you miss them? As much as I do?" I ask him, catching the black haired boy off guard.

"More." He responds quickly, leaning back into his seat and once again reverting his attention out the window. "Woah, lets stop here for the night." He points up ahead.

A Mexican restuarant sits before us, painted colorfully with red, orange, and green. A peanut shaped logo man with a mustache and sombrero welcomes us in, and I pull into the empty parking lot gladly.

If this place is still packed with Mexican goodies, this may just be the best worst night of my life.