32 // Patients & Patience

YOUR POV:

The rest of the day consisted of walks around the hospital, a couple of the boys getting scolded every once in a while for being too loud around other patients.

Patients. Tons of them.

Every open door we passed by would attract my gaze like magnets. Old people on ventilators, X-Rays pulled up for broken bones like Yoongis, or coughing children.

Would it be possible to die of such natural causes these days? Old age or illness catching up to you before the zombies do?

The answers lie in what Jin told us about the camp, how they welcomed he and Namjoon with open arms, and the kindness they've shown them since arriving.

Just outside of the hospital were big wooden walls they built themselves, and houses that were cleared and distributed to civilians.

Such jobs like soldiers, farmers, and doctors were available, and anyone could be what they wanted to. Namjoon and Jin both went on daily runs with the militia of the community, looking for us, and now that they've found us they're welcome to drop out of duty.

Too good to be true is what some may call it, but as the population now grows over two hundred strong, perhaps living like this is possible.

After talking for hours, the eight of us find ourselves back in the open lounge area of the hospital, snacking on instant noodles like old times.

Suddenly, nurse Beth appears at my side, breaking the laughter the group erupted into. I wipe a laughing tear away from my eye, still chuckling at one of Jin's horrible dad jokes.

"I'm afraid curfew is in half an hour everyone, let's let y/n back to her room for resting now." Beth speaks, as if the boys could understand her. Some of them nod their heads in agreement while Namjoon repeats her words in Korean for the others.

We all group hug once more and I feel as if my heart is going to explode with love. Though despite my un-want of the day to end, I find myself lying alone in the hospital bed again.

The clock strikes ten-thirty, the towns curfew, and I close my eyes shut, before opening them again when the door clicks open.

Jungkook.

"Yes! Just made it!" He whispers excitedly, looking at the digital clock on the wall.

Jungkook joins my side quickly and takes off his shoes, causing my eyebrow to raise in confusion. "What are you doing? It's past curfew, you're not supposed to be out." I scold him.

"I'm not out." He says, unbuttoning his shirt and climbing into the bed next to me. His warm body cuddles up to mine and I let out a gasp in happiness, wrapping my arm over his soft skin.

He presses a kiss to my forehead and I fall asleep quickly in the crook of his neck.

Birds chirp outside my window, joining the harmony of the beeping heart monitor, and mobility fills my body. Morning came quicker than expected, and the spot next to me where Jungkook had been lying is warm, but empty.

I caress the bedsheets with my hand and snap open my eyes, scanning the room for my lover. His body is found sprawled out in a recliner in the corner, mouth agape and hair sticking out in every direction.

My lips curl into a smile when the beeping on my heart monitor speeds up. I blush at the thought of Jungkook speeding my heart rate, though I'll decide not to give him the satisfaction of knowing that information.

He jumps awake when a knocking sound rings out in the room. Namjoons grinning face peers at us through the window of the door, and I mimic his expression.

He peeks his head inside and looks between Jungkook and I. "The doctor is requesting you." He says in English, trying his best to do a fancy British accent.

"Oh is he now?" I respond in the same manner, sending Namjoon into a space of laughter.

"Alright seriously," He returns now in Korean, "it's important."

Both Jungkook and I jump up from our sleepy states and follow Namjoon down the hall. My IV is disconnected, though the beginning tube still sticks into my arm, so I assume I'm okay to leave the room without the chord.

Our friend leads us to a large room with a long table and white board. The five remaining members of Bangtan meet us there, already in their seats and leaving the chair at the head of the table open for me.

The words "Operation Z" are written on the whiteboard ahead of me, and a familiar pit of anxiety returns to my stomach. The kind you'd feel as a child when at the dentist, nervousness for what's to come.

All of a sudden nurse Beth enters the room, holding the door open for an extremely tall and friendly faced black man.

"Hello," She smiles at me in specific, "this is Doctor Zachary Langford."

The man flashes a pearly white smile at me and extends a hand over Yoongis head. I shake it willingly with a hello and he sits at the opposite head of the table.

"It's so great to finally meet you." Zachary beams at me. "I'm here to provide the eight of you some very important information."

A stack of paper sits in his hand and he begins to flip through them as if he's trying to find the correct page. Meanwhile Namjoon quietly translates the words to his brothers, trying not to disturb my focus on the doctor.

"We've been researching y/n's bodily activity the past few days. We've studied the virus, watched her vitals, and it's come to our attention that the makeup of her DNA is mutated, which has been what prevented her from getting sick." As he speaks, his gaze reverts back and forth from the paper to making eye contact with me.

I tried to understand what he meant by mutated DNA, but it still didn't make any sense to me.

Why me?

The doctor narrows his eyes at me and then smiles once again. The dramatic pause makes it seem that he's overwhelmingly happy about what he's going to say next.

"So now that we know what makes you special, we had to figure out if it'd be possible to share that specialty with others, with the world, and it is. Through surgery."

I turn my head to the side, giving an insure look to Zachary, and nurse Beth nods her head at my reaction.

"It would be a fairly easy extraction. You'd be under for thirty minutes maximum while we take out a few samples of scar tissue from your hand and arm, and then some blood samples while you recover for the next two days."

I still find myself to be hesitant about the situation, looking toward all seven of my friends to my left and right, and that's when everything changes.

The smiles on their faces, all filled with hope and joy, each of them just excited as the next about my importance.

"Thanks to you, they can make a cure." Namjoon gives me his classic grin he's had all morning, "basically he's saying that you could save the world today and wake up tomorrow with as much as a scratch on your arm babygirl."

I find my mouth to be dropped open in shock, and eyes scanning the room. Each gaze is on me, and I look between their faces one by one.

Jungkooks mouth is parted in an unconscious smile, and eyes searching between my features as if my response is hidden somewhere within them. Hoseok nibbles on his bottom lip anxiously, almost like he's stopping an outburst from happening.

Jimin's eyes are crescent shaped and cheeks balled up, both from his blushed smile. Jin's stare is narrowed on me, though lips curved joyfully.

Yoongi's face shows emotion, little of it, but more than usual. His eyes wide and waiting for the next words to leave my mouth. Lastly, Taehyung looks slightly scared, his eyes wide and scanning my body.

I shut my eyes and find the obvious answer within myself. "I'm in."