Rock Bottom (Splendor x OC)

Content Warnings
• Talks of suicide/Suicidal ideation
Word Count: 1700+
Summary: Before Gabby, an auburn-haired young woman with a less than ideal life, can throw herself into a seventy-foot-deep rock quarry, Splendorman appears to talk her off the ledge. The two go for a walk through the scraggly woods and talk about themselves and what they have in common for a short while. It has a happy ending.

————————————————————

Gabby had very thoroughly prepared to disappear today. In the weeks prior, she'd quit her job, cut ties with her remaining family, payed the final payment on her apartment, and purchased a one way bus trip to northern Maine. What was in northern Maine, you may ask? Well, there was a locale in that area known for its many disappearances. In recent years, the public had come to learn that these were the work of the now infamous urban legend, Slenderman. Supposedly, he's since become a mysterious recluse, but the slow trickle of missing persons cases had not stopped completely.

Clearly, there was still something (or several somethings) lurking about that forest. Gabby supposed that if there was any place to die, it was here.

Her search that morning for a monster to finish her miserable existence had proven fruitless. Perhaps they didn't like to come out during the day, she thought. Regardless, she was growing impatient. She wouldn't like to take the risk of having to sleep here tonight. It was her plan to meet her maker as soon as possible, even if by her own hand.

In her aimless hike about the mountainous forest, she came across an old rock quarry. It was extremely deep, with steep walls of chiseled dark gray stone. She considered taking out her earplugs, which she always wore to keep out any sound that may overstimulate her, but realized it wouldn't matter much if they were out or in when her body was crumpled up at the bottom of this ravine.
As she looked down into the steep chasm, a sullen look on her face, the girl's vision was spinning. But she wasn't hesitant. Once she hit the bottom, it'd be over in an instant. Dead on impact, by a broken neck, back, or skull. She had nothing to be afraid of.

Still, she teetered on the cliff's edge. The total silence brought about by her earplugs was humbling. Gabby felt as if there was nothing else in the world besides her, and this hole. Just her, and her mortality. No one to stop her, no one to mourn her. Not a thing out of place in the lives of anyone else on Earth.

She'd done enough thinking. Almost lazily, she kicked one leg out over the quarry, letting herself struggle to balance on one foot.

Just as she thought she might fall forward, an enormous hand against her chest pushed her back away from the edge.

Dumbfounded, she followed the arm with her eyes, up to the hand's owner. There stood an absolutely gargantuan bean-stalk of a man, dressed in a dandy black tux decorated with various colorful spots. He had a large red bow tie, and a spotted top hat to match his suit. Despite his colorful getup, his expression was solemn. She realized he didn't have eyes, or a nose—just two dots drawn where eyes should've been, and a lonely mouth curled into a slight frown. She took out one of her earplugs and pocketed it before he spoke to her.

"It's a long way down, Miss," He said, his voice not quite as deep as she expected, "I don't suppose I could get you to reconsider?"

Gabby looked down into the ravine again, then gazed back up at the bizarrely dressed stranger.
"If you're thinking you'll kill and eat me, you picked the right day to do it. You're one of those forest monsters, right?"

The stranger seemed a bit hurt by the assumption he had bad intentions.
"No, no. I'd never do such a thing, I assure you. My name is Splendorman—or, perhaps more accurately, that is the name your kind has given me. I promise I'm quite gentle."