Background

One year ago

*Ivette's POV*

"Go!!" my papi yelled at my sister and I pointing towards the stairs. We both knew it was serious, he never yells. The pounding on the door continued and I picked Lucia up and took her up to our parents room. I opened the walk in closet and closed it behind us. I sat her down on the ground and gave her a hopeful smile. "It's okay mama," I sat down next to her and pulled her close to me. I started to hum the song our mami always sang to us at night in attempt to sooth her. There was a lot of commotion going on downstairs. I knew my dad was part of something illegal so maybe just the police?? They were arguing downstairs in Spanish and I was trying to listen in while still humming Lucia her song. Then I heard something. My heart sunk to my stomach. One gun shot, two, three, four. "Stay here mama," I got up and walked out of the closet. I shut the door behind me and walked down the stairs as quiet as I could. I heard papi on the phone with someone. "Now!!" he yelled through the phone. I peaked around the corner and I almost threw up. "Mami!!!" I screamed running to the door way. "Ivy I told you to stay upstairs!!" papi yelled, "No I said she was shot hurry up!!" Then he threw his phone on the couch and got on one knee holding my moms bullet wound with his shirt. "Mami," I cried hugging onto her body. "Where is Lucia!?" he asked.
"Upstairs," I sobbed. Gordo and Smiley showed up not even 10 minutes later with some supplies. "You have to get off her," Smiley told me. I sniffled and sat up and scooted away from her body but I kept my hand in hers. "Mami please squeeze if you're still here," I sobbed, squeezing her hands. Nothing. Smiley and Gordo started to examine her. Gordo looked at my dad and shook his head. "Nooo," I cried throwing myself back on my mami, "wake up mami please!!! Please mami come back!!" I felt hands on my back as I laid on the floor and sobbed.

~

"The states!?" I looked at him crazy, "it's been 3 months since mami passed and you want to move!?"
"It's for the best!" papi told me, "You know it is! It's not safe here for you and Lucia."
"What about mami?" I sighed.
"She is always with us Chica," he hugged me, "I promise." I hugged him back and nodded.

The big move. A year after mami's death. We finally got our cards to move. Gordo and Smiley were coming with us. I was thankful they were coming with though. Lucia and I needed the extra support, so did Papi. Our plane finally landed in the states. It was, different. I picked Lucia up and carried her down the aisle and out of the plane. We got our luggage and a black SUV pulled up. "Ours?" I asked.
"Papi always has to have the best for you girls," he nodded. The driver got out and handed the keys to papi and he signed the paper and he walked away. We put our luggage in the truck and I got Lucia in and then got in the back next to her. "Ahhh Cali," Papi breathed in the fresh air and got in. "wait till you see the house!" Smiley winked at us.

We were driving through he hills. It felt like a movie. It was like the movies mami and I would watched. Beautiful hills, palm trees, glowing sun, big houses. Papi pulled the car into a drive way of a big white house. There was a wrap around porch on the top and bottom with huge pillers holding it up. "Papi!!" I looked at him. He smiled back at me. We all hurried inside and took a tour. The house was hugeee. There had to be 10 rooms. My room and Lucia's rooms were connected through a hallway that also joined our bathroom. Papi and the boys had the rooms across the halls. The back yard had a big pool and jacuzzi with a swingset as well for Lucia. There was a big patio for grilling too. "Alright house rules," Papi started, "One there will be someone here to watch over you two. You will respect him like you respect us, you will listen to him as well. Alright?" we both nodded, "Alright. Next. The basement is off limits. You are to NOT go down there okay!? Everywhere else is fine, basement no. Alright?" we both nodded again, "You DO NOT answer the door. Gordo does, okay?" again we nodded, "Alright go have fun." he smiled at us.

I wonder who this "person" that papi has to watch over us is. I mean I'm 21 I dont need a babysitter but I know papi is worried cause of what happened but I'm my own damn woman. I would see why Lucia would need a babysitter when I'm gone, other than that she never leaves my side. This should be interesting.