Chapter 32

Sawyer

Sawyer

I walked to the front of the house where Aliana and our Master were waiting. As I approached, I noticed that some of the men were at the base of the stairs to the house. I wondered if Aliana's father was planning something stupid, like attacking our Master. I was relieved to see that wasn't the case. Aliana knew these men and they just came to say goodbye.

Wherever Aliana went it seemed she captured the hearts of men and not just on a sexual level. These men were protective of her. Loyal. They cared for her. I'd heard how they spoke, almost in reverence, of her. How she'd helped them over the years. How her presence had been a blessing to crops and livestock.

Now, seeing her outside, I realized how pale she looked. There were purplish circles under her eyes and she seemed weak and unsteady on her feet. The anger from the group of men, including Aliana's father, was palpable. Shit. The bastard had once again nearly killed her. For someone who keeps proclaiming his love of her and swearing to protect her, our Master seemed to be the thing she needed most protection from.

I kept a wary eye on her as we began our journey back to the estate. Not even twenty minutes in and I noticed she could barely keep her eyes open and she kept leaning forward in her saddle. I rode over to her. She seemed to be struggling to keep her eyes open and she was more pale than she was before.

"Ani. Are you ok?" I whispered to her. Her eyes fluttered open. "Yes. I'm fine. Just tired." I nodded, but something was definitely wrong. I rode over to our Master. "Master. Something is wrong with Aliana." Master pulled on his reins and turned slightly to look at her. His jaw tightened. "Grab her. She's about to fall." I turned in time to catch her as she nearly fell from her horse. I pulled her onto my lap. She was cold but there were beads of sweat along her upper lip and forehead.

"I think she has a fever. She's very pale." Master's brows furrowed. Give her to me. Grab the mare and follow us, I'm going to speed up and get to the carriage. I'll link with one of the men and have them ride ahead and find Dr. William. He's a few towns over but he's better equipped than the local doctor."

He took Aliana from my arms, carefully positioning her in his lap. "Aliana, love." She didn't move. "Aliana. Open your eyes, kitten." She mumbled but didn't open her eyes. "Shit." He took the reins and hit his gelding hard. The horse jumped in surprise and began to settle into a gallop.

I struggled to keep up with my Master as I pulled Aliana's horse behind me and tried to gallop with only one hand on my reins. It sounded easier to do than it actually was and soon my Master's horse was not even visible in the horizon as I moved along the road as fast as I could.

As I arrived at where we'd left the carriage, Master had already gotten the carriage on the road and was working with his guard to get the horses hitched. I assume the other guard had gone ahead to fetch the doctor.