Chapter 36

Alaric

Instead of staying the night in the woods near the castle, as I had initially planned, I decided to use the Vampire speed I'd been cursed with to make my way toward the Ferry stop before road blocks and guards made it more challenging.  

Soon, I was in the woods not far from where the stop was.  I made good time, my vampire sight allowing me to continue running despite the darkness.  I rested when I needed to and when I came upon a large stag near a small pond, I hunted and fed. 

Animal blood is not as nutritious as human blood to a Vampire. We could survive from it, but got very little energy from it.   It was like living on a diet of stale bread and water.  However, it was enough to give me the energy to keep moving.  As a hybrid, I also didn't need to feed on blood as often as an ordinary Vampire.  I was still able to get some energy from human food, so eating the deer meat raw added to the benefit I got from it.  

In order to hide my presence, I broke the carcass into pieces and scattered it in different directions.  Gory, but necessary.

In a few days time, I'd made it to the water and the Ferry. I noticed an increase in guards. However, they were stopping Vampires and not really bothering with the humans. Promising. I could pass for human. I had a little Magic left in me. Enough to communicate with fellow Mages, if they were close enough.    Enough to spell my eyes.  It was a fairly easy spell that required little concentration and little Power.  I used it all the time when I was a Hunter to disguise my green eyes, one of the signs of a Hunter. I looked at my clothes. Yeah. That would be a problem.

I stayed along the edge of the woods, trying to formulate a plan when I came upon a group of men. I stayed out of site. They were a good 2 kilometers away, about a mile. "John. What the hell?" the one man asked the other. There were three men there. Two older men who appeared to be in their fifties and another, younger man who appeared to be in his twenties. The older men had long beards. "Look. I don't like Vamps. Ok?" 

The younger man went up to him, "I get that, but they aren't bothering humans. They are looking for some wayward Vampire. You saw them." The other man shrugged the young man's arm off him. "Yeah, but they still laid their hands on me. I don't like it." The young man sighed. "Dad, he was just making sure you are human. They are checking for body heat and heartbeats."

Great. I could fake eye color but body heat and a heartbeat were something entirely different. I looked at the men again. I noticed the young man had a bag slung over his shoulder. "Dad. We need to go. We'll miss the ferry."

I started stalking closer to them, staying in the shadows. I didn't want to hurt them, but I needed some clothes and the young man was about my size.  When I was close enough, I used my Vampire speed to grab the young man and take him a few meters away. I held his mouth and spoke softly. "I'm not going to hurt you. Nod if you understand." The man, who looked at me terrified, nodded. I slowly let my hand go. I could hear the older men speaking in panic. "Joshua? Son! Where are you?"

  "Joshua?  Son!  Where are you?"