-- == WELCOME TO CAMP == --

》»    It didn't take long for Amren to convince her parents to let her go to a summer camp, especially when she mentioned how it could help her 'cope' over the loss of her older brother.

     Who knew she was so good at fake crying? Sure what she said was true, she could learn to cope like a proper human being- but, she didn't want to. To her coping meant letting go of everything she had with her brother, yes she recognized she was being dramatic, but could you really blame her? Not even three months ago, on Easter morning, did she watch her brother get brutally tortured to his death in front of her. Amren could hear her mother's pleas of safety for her first-born child, her father's struggling yells claiming they hadn't seen or heard of their grandfather's debt, she could remember her own cries asking the masked people to leave her 'bubby' alone. And clearer than ice itself, she could hear her older brother's voice telling them that it would be alright, that he'd still watch over them all, and prevent them from making the same mistakes their grandfather did. Amren never understood how he did it. How he kept a brave face while staring death in the eye, awaiting for the grim reaper to accompany him to heaven so he didn't have to go alone.

     Amren was snapped out of her slightly depressing thoughts by the music her mother had just turned up in the car. Her brother's favorite song; 'I like me better' by Lauv, which he turned into the 'family anthem'. She smiled at her father who turned in his seat to look at her reaction. She slowly started singing the song, her voice was fairly good, for someone with no professional training, but she never liked to sing aloud so it took a while for it to 'warm up'. Her parents listened intently, almost letting their mind think their late son was singing with his baby sister.

     Unfortunately he wasn't there to sing with her.

     "I like me better when I'm with you."  Amren finished singing shyly, as she looked out her window, the car slowly coming to a stop in front of a sign.

     'Welcome to Rim of the World; Adventure Camp.' The sign read, causing the young blonde girl's smile to falter ever so slightly.

    "We're here. Ready for your first ever summer camp experience?" Her mother asked, turning in the driver's seat to look at her (now) only child with expression that held a really overwhelming amount of excitement. "I mean. . .I guess? Don't really know what to say." Amren chuckled nervously as she unbuckled her seat belt, and grabbed the door handle. "I think it will be fun, it's an adventure camp, gotta have some fun things, right?" The tiny teenage girl asked as she hopped out of the car, taking a duffle bag from her father. "Of course it does- at least if I remember correctly. . .for once I didn't to much research on a place." Her father chuckled closing her door for her. "Let's get you checked in Amy." Her father called lovingly, she scrunched her nose playfully at the nickname, as they walked through the camp entrance. Amren looked around, some kids were still saying goodbye to their parents, some getting checked in. Counselors were greeting old and new campers, and being a little over enthusiastic. She saw one counselor scaring the daylights out of a smaller red-haired boy, with a crazy handshake he did with a fellow worker.

      "Maybe I should've done a little bit of research." Her father whispered to her, and she turned her head to see what he was looking at. A counselor was stumbling around, holding a flask that was labeled 'MILK'. Amren nodded in agreement with her father. "Something tells me that isn't milk." Her father patted her shoulder, as they arrived at a check-in counter.

    "Hello! Name please?" A rather normal counselor asked politely. "Amren Maunwell." The teenager replied in the same polite tone, shifting her weight from her right foot to her left. "Oh, we have a celebrity! You'll be in cabin 4, it's just outside of her to your left." The counselor chuckled handing her father something to sign, while she put a few check marks down on a paper beside Amren's name.

    The comment about being a 'celebrity' caused Amren to panic slightly. She knew the counselor was probably talking about her parents; her mother a beautiful owner of a very fancy restaurant, and her father was a retired Olympic athlete after a bad injury, and now known for his new-found love in acting. But, a part of her was scared that she was considered famous because of Corey's death, a lot of people new about it, surprisingly. But none the less she thanked the lady, hugging her father goodbye, and taking her duffle-bag and suitcase.

      "Have fun at camp sweetie." He yelled as she walked away.

     "I will. . .try anyway."

    "I love you!"

    "Yes, the feeling is mutual goodbye, dad." Amren groaned looking over her shoulder to playfully glare at her father. He smiled and left the building, he gaze caught the counselor who signed her in.

     "Welcome to Camp, Amren."

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hello hello hello! Hope you all are having a wonderful day! And I hope you enjoy today's chapter. I know I have another book I'm working on but, I felt like writing for this one today, sorry, I'll add 'Dont Back Down's nest chapter soon!

- Heroic