chapter eighteen

Vanessa's POV:

Weeks passed since our date, and Spencer and I designated a standing date-night once every two weeks. There are times where it isn't always be fulfilled, but I don't let it bother me. He is saving people, the same way he saved me, and there's no way I'm going to stand in the way of that gift. I need him, but the world needs Spencer Reid a little bit more. Spence motivated me to get back into the field, get my fellowship done and finally become a medical examiner. So while Spencer's away, that's how I fill my time. Surrounded by coffee and books, just the way I like it. It's been almost two weeks now. The first few days are easy, like clockwork, but it's the last few days that really drag. Friday night Spencer finally called. I fumble my way over my numerous sprawled pieces of paper and left open books to get to my phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey Nessa."

"Hi Spencer," I shift the phone into my shoulder. "How is everything in LA?" I sit back into bed amongst my paperwork.

"We closed up the case and headed back to the hotel now."

"That's great." I sigh, hearing the calm in his voice, usually meant for their success. "Am I gonna get to see you tonight?"

"I think so, should be there later tonight." I felt my chest fill, excitedly, I leaned back onto the mattress.

"Thank god," I exhaled smiling, happy to hear his voice again. "I miss you."

"I miss you too." I suddenly longed for him, letting his words linger in my head, in my ears for a moment. Just swooning. "How's the studying going?" I could sense his nose crinkle behind the speaker.

"Good, it's good, most of this stuff I still have memorized so it's more relaxing."

"Oh is it? Seems like I'll have to quiz you when I get there." I couldn't help but giggle.

"You're on, Dr. Reid."

"I can't wait. I gotta go Nessa, I'll call you the minute I land."

"You better." I linger again. "Bye."

"Bye." I let the phone fall out of my hand into the the bed. God I missed him so much. Two weeks seemed so much longer than it actually was. I twirled the necklace he gave me in my fingers, unable to shake his sculpted face from my mind. As cliché as it was, Spencer made me feel like a schoolgirl, blindly in love with her first crush. He gave my whole body that warm and fuzzy feeling all the way down to my toes. I was over head over heels, but I more than that. What's something more than that?

I studied all night trying to stay awake for Spencer. It was 12:30am and my eyes burned, charred from hours of intense stress. I shifted in bed and repositioned my book, rereading the same few sentences before falling asleep in wait.

Spencer's POV:

I touched down in Virginia and instantly called Vanessa, her phone rang but it hit voicemail. "Hey Nessa, it's Spencer. I just landed so I'll be there soon, bye."

"You're seeing Vanessa at this hour?" Emily asked with a smug expression. I tuck my lips together.

"We have a standing date every other Friday, so." She made an "oh" face, bobbing her head. "How's it going with her?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I mean, are you happy?" She peered forward. I fight back a grin, thinking about Vanessa, eyes on my lap.

"I don't think I've ever been happier."

"Then I speak for all of us when I say, I can't wait to meet her."

"Amen." Rossi added half asleep, eyes closed.

"I'd love to meet the girl who can keep up with Dr. Reid." JJ chimed in, smiling. It felt good to have her out in then open. After all, they're my family.

I made it to Vanessa's apartment, pulling out the key she gave me and opened the door. I greeted Olive with a few pets, and made my way back to the bedroom, stopping. My heart jumbled. She looked like a beautiful academic princess, hemmed in layers of papers and books sprawled over the I can see. She was out cold, the moose stuffed animal I knew I'd seen before, tucked under her arms. I leaned against the threshold, admiring her ethereal beauty. Her bedside clock read 2:45am. I set down my satchel, and gathered her scattered paperwork. Setting everything on her desk. I pull the blanket over her. Took off my converse, jacket, vest, and tie, laying next to Vanessa. Moving a strand of hair from her cheek. Her eyes fluttered open and her face lit up.

"Heyy." She said half asleep. "You're back."

"I am."

"How was your flight?" She rotated towards me, lifting her head.

"Long. I'm sorry it's so late."

"It's okay, you're back, that's all I care about." I leaned down planting a kiss on her sweet rosy lips, taking in her scent. I felt her swoon beneath me, melting into me, letting out a happy hum that made my heart double bounce against my chest.

"I missed you so much, Nessa." I exhaled through our kiss.

"I missed you too, baby." It just slipped, she didn't seem to notice as she leaned back into kiss me. But I did, I heard her, and everything just felt right.