chapter fourty three

Vanessa's POV:

Spencer and I sat on the bed in a comforting silence, my eyes glued to the floor. He gave my hand a squeeze, gaining my attention through my clouding dissociation. He went to speak but was silenced by screams.

"Ness!" I turned to stone. "Weeehoo!" It seemed to echo, getting louder. "I'm coming baby!" Spencer's grip tightened. "You can't hide from me no more!" He pulled my head into his chest covering my ears, the muffled noise still seeped through. "NESS!" I felt my chest begin to shake.

"You're safe, you're safe, you're safe." I whispered into the darkness desperate to cling to my strength.

"NESS!" He was louder. "IM HERE NESS! ILL ALWAYS BE HERE!" I felt Spence move me, shift me so I was further away from the windows. I put my hands over his. Even with the blinds closed. I could feel him rounding the corner, circling me like a vicious shark. "YOU HEAR ME BABY?" I slammed my eyes tighter, heart pounding in my ear canals. "I'LL SEE YOU SOON!" I felt a tear fall from my nose and a distant:

"That's enough!" That was Aaron...

The inaudible sounds disappeared soon after, and Spencer uncovered my ears, leaving his hands on my back. I pick up my head, wiping my face and glancing to see him with a breath.

"You're okay." He reminded.

"I'm okay." I let out a breath, our connection unbroken. His hand brushed the side of my hair sweetly the other embraced mine, entangling it with his. I lay my face into his chest, eyes closed, this time out of bliss.

"I love you." Reminded

"I love you too." A moment later there was a knock on the door before it opened. Hotch walked in, wearing a neutral grin.

"Vanessa."

"Aaron." I tried to read him but I got no where fast. He stood with his hands on his hips, which is what through me off. I was ready, expecting something I didn't want to hear.

"I think it's time you go home and get some much needed rest." Another tight breath pushed through my lungs, the smile on my face returned. "But theres something you need to know." He raised his chin, there it is. I swallowed but nodded. "Lukas has the location of three other victims, women, long before he ever met you." I waited, feeling Spence's grip tighten. "The flaw, is that the only person he'll tell, is you." I felt queasy. "When the time comes, you're going to have to be the one to receive them." I couldn't speak, I had nothing to say, my brain glitching. Hotch shifted. "I know this isn't ideal, and I can imagine how terrified you must be. But he won't be able to hurt you ever again." Spencer's hand adjusted in mine. "You won't be alone, there will be an agent in the room at all times. And we'll give you some time."

"Hotch-" Spence went to argue but was stopped.

"There is no other way."

"What if I can't..." I wasn't even aware I had said it. The look in his eye changed.

"You can." It felt so genuine, a lightheaded wave rushed through me. "For now you should go home, take the next few days before Christmas." He blinked slowly at me in sympathy, understanding. "You too, Reid." Hotch motioned with a turn of his head. "You're both clear." He took a moment and turned for the door. I looked to Spence, sharing the same expression.

"Are you ready?"

"I don't wanna go." I managed through a clenched voice, feeling the tears build.

"Why don't you come stay with me?" His puppy dog eyes shined a light on the darkness around me, his pouted lips collected the scattered pieces of my soul. "I can make French toast, put on a silent film, make a fire." He suggested. I sniffled, scooting into him, feeling my heart regulate. "You don't have to go home."

"I'm home whenever I'm with you." I say touching his chest. Spencer grinned, and kissed me. Losing myself in the tender caress of his lips. He broke away, scrunching his nose and standing, taking me with him. And we made our way home, hand in hand.

Rossi's POV:

The team and I watched Reid and Quinn leave from the briefing room windows.

"At least we put Lukas away." JJ exhaled, crossing her arms. "She's really gonna have to get those locations herself?"

"She's the only chance we've got." I huffed, watching as they reached the elevator.

"She's tough, she can handle it." Hotch said matter of factly.

"She sure is." Morgan added, sitting back at the table.

"Can you imagine having the worst relationship of your life coming back bursting through your life like WHAM-" Garcia stopped seeing the faces of myself, Hotch and Emily. "Right." She whispered awkwardly.

"At least she has Reid by her side. That's like having a guardian Angel." JJ stated.

"They are, mushy." I joked.

"Just wait till the wedding." Emily's comment stopped all the chatter, immediately turning us all to her. She lowered the magazine she was reading, trying to speak. "I mean, can you imagine, the mushy...ness."

"Wait, wait, do you think he's..." Garcia asked, jaw open as we all turned back to the couple, smiling at each other as the elevator come to a close. "Oh my gosh." Everyone traded a range of looks.

"Our kid's all grown up." I say aloud, feeling Aaron's paternal smile aside mine.