chapter fifty seven

Vanessa's POV:

I stepped into the bursting light with Aaron at my side. The library was decked in long beautiful white lights descending from the ceiling, an arch draped with royal crimson fabric and rusted flowers, rested at the far end of the room. And under it, my groom.

Spencer looked at me with an indescribable expression. Love, leaning from every muscle. My gown feathered behind me. I felt myself shaking, light headed as I pass friends and family. My groom was glowing in a fitted black tuxedo and burgundy tie, with a burnt toned calla lily pinned to his chest. His dark glossy eyes in the light fueled me to reach him. Every moment was magic.

Aaron and I stopped, reaching the arch and handed me off to Spencer who took my hand, helping me onto the stoop. He stared into me, choking back tears as he fumbled to keep still, his hands in mine. Our team behind us, all gleaming emotionally.

Our officiant spoke in eloquence, about truth and faithfulness, trust, and honor, and love in marriage: leading into our vows. I took in a quaking breath.

"Ahm, where do I begin?" I stammer  hearing a supporting laugh from the attendance, easing my nerves. I grip him tighter, exhaling. "Three years ago, after experiencing a life of death situation. The first thing I saw when I came out of surgery, was you. You made sure of that. You read me scripture by André Breton. You helped me through physical therapy, through withdrawals. You stay at my side when I wanted you, and back away when I don't." Both my cheeks were rippled with tears. "You believe in me. Everything you've done for me has been, sincere. You didn't save my life once. You save it every day, just by being you. I vow to you, that I will spend every day of my life, being there. To read you French philosophy when you're sick, to clear the dishes after breakfast, to stay when you want me, and leave when you don't. I vow to be as pure and wholesome as you've been with me. To believe in you, to value you, and continue saving you, every day. I love you." I whisper-cried, tapping the back of my hand to my eye to try and catch the tears.

"I love you." His voice mirrored mine, timid and strained, pushing back waterworks. He cleared his throat, doing the nose scrunch that stops my heart. "The day we first met, i was on the phone with Garcia. And if I remember correctly, I was arguing the fact I that don't have a specified favorite place... And I do remember." Everyone else's laughed so seemed distant behind mine. "In exactly three minutes and eighteen seconds, you changed that. The moment I saw you, I was yours. Indefinitely. And All of a sudden, I had a favorite everything, and it's you." He cleared his throat again, sniffling. "Your first words to me, were 'Are you staring at me?'." He recited, making my cheeks burn. "You'd built a wall around yourself in order to survive, because that's what you are. A survivor. You have picked yourself up after all that you've been through. You came face to face with monsters, for the closure of families, and victims, you don't know. You are, the most gallant, loving, intelligent person, I have ever met. You are full of passionate, of love, of forgiveness. You live, in this world all your own, and every time you look at me, you share a piece of that world with me. I never want that to end. Vanessa, you are magic." I let out a cry, covering my mouth. "And for some unforeseeable reason. You followed your heart into forensic science, you moved here, walked into this life, and chose me. And I vow, to choose you, every day. I love you Vanessa Faith." He cried. I reach out, wiping a tear from his cheek. What I tried to say was "I love you" , but what came out wasn't really English. More like a mixture of inaudible words and a sob. Both our knuckles where clenched bright white. And then, the words that change everything.

"By the power vested in me by the state of Virginia, I now pronounce you, husband and wife. You may now-"

Spencer's lips hit mine within an instant. Draining all the restive sensation launching through my body with a single movement. Both palms to my cheeks, chest to chest, his hips buckled into mine. His head tilted, ever so slightly, so lovingly. He dipped me backwards, just a bit, enough to steal the breath through our frantic kiss with enormous smiles.