Chapter Ten: November 6th, 2020

As I surveyed my surroundings, I found myself back in the dark room with the only light was coming from the window above the toilet. I heard laughter as I glanced down at the filthy mattress where my companion was laying, facing away from me as I was sitting on the edge of mattress facing him. I watched as he brushed a piece of hair out of my face and looped it around my ear, "you are so beautiful."

    I rolled my eyes, "you need to focus!" My cheek became fiery red as I giggled at his compliment.

    "I'm sorry that you are so attractive. I love you so much." As he continued to trace the characteristics of my face.

    "I love you too." I smiled down at him before I continued, "we need to figure out how to write down the information we do know." Silence passed as they pondered, trying to find a solution.

    "Do we still have the new bar of soap he gave us? I think he left the box on it this time." My eyes became wide as I dashed across the room to the makeshift shower and shuffling items around to find the soap. She glanced back with a smirk on her face as she presented the small cardboard box proudly.

    My companion reached his hand between the wall and mattress and pulled out a capped pen. "I don't know how much ink it has left and we need to be able to use it to write the information on our arms before we attempt to escape."

    I took a seat next to him, "but in order for it to work, we need to have the information written down so we don't have to postpone the escape any longer in case he collects us for another injection."

    He nodded, "you're right."

    I glanced over at the window as I bit my bottom lip, "do you think you'll be able to open that?"

    He grasped my small hand into his large hand, "we have to wait to try the window until we are ready, but I really hope so."

    "Me too," I mumbled. A few moments went by until I spoke up, "what do you want to write down? Do you remember anything?"

    I handed the box over to him as he sat up and that was the moment. The light from the window revealed his face. My jaw dropped as my hand went to cover my mouth. I walked closer to examine his face better and I couldn't believe it. It really was him. He was my person. My eyes began to water as I stood there in disbelief; my companion was Lucas.

    Suddenly, I gasped as I sat up in bed, examining the semi-dark room around me; I was in my bedroom. My heart ached at the thought of Lucas being there all by himself. Is it true? Was it a real flashback? Or just a dream? I hope he is okay. As I placed my head into my hands, my heart dropped into my stomach, making me want to vomit at my next thought; what if we go to save him and he was dead? I shook my head at the thought. I cannot think like that. I need to focus on finding him. I need to tell Liam, but how will he react? Especially when he realizes I fell in love with his brother. Is it too soon to tell Erin? I fell back into bed, sighing as my thoughts continue to race and I knew I was not going to sleep anytime soon.

***

    I knocked on the familiar wooden door that belong to Liam. I rocked back and forth on my heels as I waited for either Liam or his father to answer the door. How am I going to tell Liam? I know he will be happy to know that his brother was with me, but he isn't going to like the fact that we seemed to be a couple in my flashbacks.

    "Clary?" Liam questioned, breaking me out of my thoughts. "I thought I wasn't supposed to be seeing you until dinner tonight."

    I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out. My racing heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest as my palms began to sweat. I shifted my gaze away from him as I stared down at the floor of the porch. "Lucas was with me," I mumbled quickly.

    "Wait, what did you say? I cannot understand you." Oh no, he is going to make me say it again. I do not know if I can. "How about you come in and we talk in the living room?" He offered while moving over to allow space for me to pass through. I walked in quickly, staring down at the floor the whole time. Once we both sat on the couch, I could feel him staring at my intently. "Are you going to talk?"

    I sighed, "Lucas was with me." I did not shift my gaze from the ground; I did not want to see his reaction.

    "Clary?"

    "Yeah?" Oh god. What is he going to say?

    "Look at me." He placed his finger under my chin, forcing me to look at him. "Why are you avoiding eye contact with me?"

I felt warm tears as they made their escape down my face to my chin as it dribbled onto my shirt. "I don't want you to hate me."

    He immediately wrapped his arms around me while whispering, "why do you think that way?"

    "Because Lucas," I paused, unable to form the correct words to ease the pain I was causing. I wrapped my arms tightly around him as I sobbed into his shoulder. "Lucas was my person." I whispered in between sobs.