Chapter Thirteen: November 10th, 2020:

I was back into the basement as I stood in the corner, facing Lucas and myself. Lucas was laying on his back with his eyes closed as I sat on the side of the mattress with an empty, metal food tray next to my feet. I cleared my throat. "Thank you for letting me eat your portion," I mumbled to Lucas.

    He grabbed my hand with his and gave it a squeeze. "It's no problem. I hate seeing you hungry." He paused and smiled to himself. "Plus, you get a little moody when you are hungry," I gasped and smacked his arm, playfully. He began laughing loudly as he wrapped his arms around my waist, bringing me down to the mattress. I had my back towards him as he snuggled up to me. "You know I am just messing with you," he whispered into my ear. He kissed my cheek before laying his head down as I felt his nose and his hot breath on the back of my neck.

    I bit my lip, playing with a thread coming from the filthy mattress. "I want to say that I miss home, but I don't know what home even is. Every time I try to think of home, I draw a blank." I sighed.

    "When I think of home, the name Liam comes to my mind. That's it. I have no idea who this guy even is."Suddenly, the metal door opened and Lucas jumped as he sat up, moving away from me. The man was standing in the doorway and his face was not a blur anymore. I ran over, getting close to him to memorize his facial features. His piercing green eyes that were framed with thick, black glasses. He had brown hair along with a short, brown beard. A flat, straight scar came from his hairline through his right temple, stopping before his eyebrow. His lips were turned up while the corners were turned down. He looked familiar, but I couldn't place him.

    "You guys disgust me." He spat out as he walked through me towards the mattress, snatching the tray from the floor. He passed through me again as he left the room, slamming the door behind him.

    "The feeling is mutual, asshole." Liam mumbled as he fell back into the bed. I watched as Liam and I fell asleep with him snuggled up to my back.

    I gasped as I sat up. I rubbed my eyes before examining my surroundings; I was home. Where do I know that man from? Think, Clary. Think! Immediately, I threw the covers off of me and ran downstairs. I searched the bookcases, cussing at myself. Where is it? It was just here!

    "What's going on, Clary?" My mom turned on the light, looking at me with concern. She was standing in the doorway in her robe with my dad beside her with his arms crossed.

    "I need to find it!" I kept examining the bookcase.

    "Find what, honey?" I ignored her question, running between them and out the door. I ran through the yard with my bare feet, stopping at Liam's house. I banged my fists on the door, impatiently. Come on, Liam. I need you.

    Liam answered the door, grabbing my fist from the air and pulling me into the house. "This better be important! It's 3 in the mornin-"

    "Where is the photo album?"

    He pointed towards the living room, opening his mouth to speak, but I didn't give him the chance too. I ran into the living room and saw the photo album on the table. I slid to the ground and opened the album, flipping through it quickly. Where is it? It was in here!

    "Right here!" I pointed at the photo in the top right corner.

    "That's the neighborhood barbecue. What am I supposed to be looking at?" He looked at me, questioning as he took his place next to me on the floor.

    "That man." I pointed to the man in the middle row. "It's him."

    "No way!" He shook his head. "He was a nice guy! He always bought us a big bag of candy on Halloween and he helped our parents in any way he could."

    "He was trying to find his way in."

    "His wife died a month before he moved! There's no way he would have kidnapped two kids!" He rubbed his face with his hands.

    "Tell me what he does for a living." I pointed to the photo.

    He sighed. "He's a medical assistant."

    "Oh, how convenient." I paused, waiting for a response. "When did he move?"

    He cleared his throat and stared at his lap. "A week after Lucas disappeared."

    "Now, do you want to tell me it's not possible that it could be him?"

    "I never said it was impossible, but it's just hard to believe because he treated everyone so well. I would never made him a suspect. Are you sure that's who you saw?"

    I laughed. "I literally just pointed him out to you."

    He placed his hands up in surrender. "I'm sorry, Clary."

I waved his apology away. "Who is he?"

He bit his lip and thought for a moment before speaking as if he was deciding whether he should tell me or not. "Gary Taylor."

    I placed my hands on the table and pushed myself off of the ground. "We need to tell the detective."

    He chuckled, pulling me into a hug. "Let's wait until morning."