5

Delilah

I woke up an hour later than usual. I was a very heavy sleeper which is why Jada would always swing by my apartment in the morning to wake me up. This entire past week, she didn't.

I quickly got out of bed and threw my clothes on, my first class was already in session. I grabbed my backpack from the side of the bed and headed to the kitchen to grab an apple. Unfortunately, they were rotten so I threw them out. I'd have to get something during my lunch break. I rushed outside of my apartment, locked my door and hurried to my car.

Once I was in the car, a part of me wanted to cry. I felt as though I'd lost my best friend for good, there was no way she'll ever forgive me. I cranked up my car and took the fastest way to campus but still managed to run into a good bit of traffic. It was now the near ending of my second class of the day once I finally arrived. I got out of my car, locked it and went inside the building.

As I was walking I heard a familiar voice, Jada. She was in the stairwell with a girl I did not know.

"Excuse me please." I said as I made my way up the stairs.

"Let's go to the bathroom baby." Jada said to the girl.

I felt my heart shatter. I knew that she was only using the poor girl as a coverup and I know that I don't even want her like that, but how could she stoop so low. I felt as though I was being cheated on.

I continued up the stairs and checked my watch. Class was set to be over in about five minutes. I had Angela's class next, it wouldn't hurt to swing by a tad bit early. I approached her classroom and gently knocked on the door.

"Come in." She shouted.

I slowly opened the door, entered and closed the door behind me. I was very tempted to lock it.

"Oh, Delilah! You're early." She smiled.

"Yeah. I got a very late start to the day...again." I said as I made my way to my desk.

"Did you just arrive? I do believe your class is still active." She responded as she looked at what seemed to be a paper copy of class schedule times.

"Yeah. I woke up late and missed first period. I just got here so I decided to go ahead and skip out on my second." I chuckled.

"Well, I appreciate you being early for my class." My heart fluttered. "Are you okay? You've been showing up late for most of your classes this past week. You seem a bit down." She asked.

"I'm fine." I responded. Just then my stomach growled so loudly, you could practically hear it from the parking lot.

"Goodness! You're starving. I guess you weren't able to eat? I don't have anything on me, if I did I'd give it to you."

She could give me something else that'll fulfill me but let me keep my thoughts to myself.

"Oh, that's okay. I'll find something during lunch."

"Delilah, something is really bothering you. I hope you know I'm here for you. Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Would you mind if I took you somewhere for lunch? Or better yet you could have lunch in my classroom? I believe that would be a more appropriate choice." She laughed.

"Yeah. I'd like that very much." I smiled.

"Okay." She smiled back.

The bell rung as students began filling into the classroom. Once everyone was situated, I took out my notebook and pencil as Angela stood in front of the class.