School year annoucements

September 3, 1994

3:00pm

Skylar's pov:

The second day of school went by faster than the first. A new group of students were in professor snape's class since every students's class schedule change every day.

The second day of assisting professor snape pretty much went the same it as did yesterday. Cleaning up between classes and short comments now and then.

Professor snape & I didn't have anything to discuss except him instructing me what he wants me to do as his assistant or complimenting how well I did a task.

He was never much of a chatting type of person anyways. He mostly just talks about serious issues or has discussions about his class or how certain students should get harsher punishments with other professors, mostly with dumbledore.

I know I'm his former student but I hoped at some point him and I could possibly have a normal conversation instead of just one back and fourth comment then off the next lesson or meal time, since we're now co workers.

I think about this as I sit down in my seat in the great hall. Before dinner begins Professor dumbledore stands up to his podium.

Professor dumbledore- "good evening students, I have three announcements to make" he smiles "the first is that hogwarts will be hosting the first triwizard tournament in hundreds of years. It has taken a very long time before the ministry approved of us hosting this event. But This time around we have taken the appropriate precautions to make sure the events that will be taking place this year will be safer. On October 30th the foreign magic schools of beauxbatons academy & the durmstrang institute will be coming here to hogwarts with their head master/headmistress along with some of their students. These two schools along with hogwarts will be taking part in the triwizard tournament. One student from each house will be chosen by the goblet of fire to represent each house in the competition. Starting the 30th, Students will have till dinner before October 31st to enter. The goblet of fire will be posted in the entrance hall for those who want to enter, then during dinner on the 31st, the three champions will be chosen. However as part of further safety precautions you must be 17 or older to enter & participate, we have taken precautions to stop anyone younger from entering if they try to do so."

Boos and comments of disapproval come from the crowd of students

Dumbledore raises his hand to silence the students so he can continue his speech. After a minute or two the students do so and continue to listen to what the other announcements will be, although they still looked unhappy from the first one.

Professor dumbledore- "the age restriction is for your safety. The last triwizard tournament involved deaths of younger competitors and myself & all the staff agree that this age restriction for is for your best interest. The first task for the triwizard tournament will begin in November 24th. Now onto the second announcement there will be no quidditch this school year due to many events happening this school year. & Lastly we be having the Yule ball on the evening of Christmas Eve, students fourth year and up are only allowed, you may ask a student under fourth year if you wish. Then In November professor McGonagall will be teaching you all how to dance for the ball for those who do not know how to. Professors and other staff members are able to take part & participate in the hall as well, it's a wonderful celebration for all of us"

Groans/Sounds of disapproval and comments from what I assume to be the quidditch players sound disappointed from the second announcement since quidditch is the most popular sport in the wizarding world.

Then the sounds of giggling girls from through the student tables appear as they are excited about the Yule ball on Christmas Eve. From what I heard The ball is a tradition that occurs during the triwizard tournament. It happens after the first event then the second event takes place a few months later. 

Sadly there was no balls or dances while I was a student at hogwarts. But I was glad to hear that professors/staff were able to dress up as well since it's for everyone & not just the students. I never dressed up for a fancy occasion such as a dance before.

But the thing is, I would have no date for the ball. I would be going alone. But it doesn't really matter to me either way,  I would be able to chat amongst the professors at the teachers table & dance with them. I obviously couldn't go with a student unless they were a 7th year, they are 17/18 closer to me age. Either way when it comes to the hall I was going to make the best of it.

Professor dumbledore finishes his speech, sits back at his seat in the middle of the teacher's table then dinner begins.

As I eat I think about the triwizard tournament and wonder who will be chosen to represent hogwarts, the first event next month wondering what it will be and the Yule ball. This much stuff has never happened while I was a student here so it was really making me excited for this school year. Being able to watch and take part in events/activities here as an assistant.

After dinner I go to my room, these thoughts still on my mind as I eventually drift off to sleep.