Preparing for the Yule ball

December 1st 1994

Skylar's pov:

The Yule ball was in a few weeks away. Many students were still discussing about how the first task went while many others, the female students specifically were discussing about getting their dress for the ball.

Even some of the teachers were discussing either one.

I still didn't plan on asking anyone and I doubt I'll be asked. But regardless I was going to have fun, date or no date, with my fellow co workers even though I'm just an assistant.

I still didn't have a dress yet, but since it's Saturday I figure today would be a good day to get mine.

After breakfast I go to my dorm and put on a jacket and scarf after I grab my sack of gold coins, my broom & my wand.

I leave my sleeping quarters and head to the giant oak doors that open hogwarts. As I head to the doors I see Professor Snape near by. He notices me and I can see a questioning look on his usual stone look face, possibly wondering where I was off to.

Professor Snape approaches me

"Hello Professor Snape" I greet

Professor Snape- "miss dove, where are you off to this morning?" He says in his monotone voice.

"I'm off to go shopping, I figured today would be a good day to get my dress for the Yule ball"

Professor Snape- "you are going to the ball?" He asks in his monotone voice

I nod "yes, while I was a student here at hogwarts there was never a dance or ball held of any kind. I figured I might as well take this opportunity & go to the ball. since this is the first time in a hundred years since the triwizard tournament has been held and the Yule ball is a tradition during the tournament"

Professor Snape- "I see"

I was wondering why Professor Snape cared where I was off to. But I figure it's cause I'm his assistant and that he was just curious.

"Do you plan on going to the ball Professor?"

Professor Snape looks a bit taken aback by this for a moment then is back to his regular stone faced look.

Professor Snape- "I do, all the professors are going to be there with the rest of the students who plan on attending" he says monotonely

"Well I'm sure you'll have a nice time. I know I will." I smile

He looks at me for a moment

"Well I'll be back in an hour or two. Shouldn't take too long to pick something out"

He nods and I walk out, feeling his gaze as I leave out the giant oak doors.

I get into my broom, making sure my belongings are secure, then I get up into the air and I fly into the nearest wizard town which wasn't too far.

I start walking around town looking at the different shops trying to find a shop with formal dresses for balls or other fancy events.

After a few minutes I find one and step inside. I start looking around at all the formal/ball dresses. There were so many different dress options to choose from. From mermaid style dresses to balls gowns.

I knew there were some students who are going to go super fancy since the Yule ball was a big deal. I wanted to be fancy but not too over the top. Even though I don't care what others think, I didn't want to be a show off or have people judging me.

I know this is going to be my first dance ever, even though I'm 21 years old and a professor's assistant. I was going to have a fun time. I wasn't too old, not that I looked old I still look like I'm 17-18, to get dressed up and enjoy my first ever ball.

I look through the racks of dresses and the ones of display. There was a lot to choose from.

I already knew the color dress I wanted- black

Now what style did I want? Mermaid? Trumpet? Ball gown?

And did I want details on it such as bling? Or plain?

I thought through these details as I look at all the black dresses the shop had to offer.

After searching for a few minutes I see a few that I like and I grab each of them in my size, I'm thin so it wasn't too hard to find my size.

I go into a changing room and lock the door behind me. I set the dresses on a hook and try them on one by one.

The first one I try on is a black fitted mermaid/trumpet style dress with a sweetheart neckline & some sparkles beading spread throughout it.

Even though I was tall and skinny I did have a little bit of curves to me. I look in the mirror.

It shoved an appropriate amount of cleavage but not too much. I didn't have a small chest so I have to make sure I didn't bare too much.

It was a pretty dress but I wasn't too sure if it was appropriate for me to wear to a ball mostly full of underage kids. It wasn't revealing, didn't show much of any skin but it did hug my body & showed some cleavage but not too much that it shows everything. But I'm an adult and other adults will be there too so i wouldn't be uncomfortable.

I then try on the next dress. It was a sparkly black ball gown with a corset middle & some lace on the top & bottom of the corset, sweet heart necklace and off the shoulder sleeves almost half way down my upper arm.

The middle wasn't too revealing since it's a black dress. It was fancy but not too over the top.

It was fancy but not too fancy. But it seems to lack a little oomf.

The third dress I try on is black, v line, thin strapped, satin style dress that fit my curves just right. It has no sparkles on it but it still looked elegant.

I try on a few more dresses until I pick the one I like the best, change back into my regular attire, purchase the dress (it gets put in a white hanger casing to keep it protected) then I leave the shop and fly back to hogwarts.

Once I get back to hogwarts I enter through the giant oak doors and head back to my sleeping quarters.

I notice some students notice me carrying my dress in the white covered bag then I get to my room, whisper the password, step inside and close the door.

I walk over to my closet and hang the dress up on a hanger with the bag over it making sure it stays neat.

I got jewelry I wanted to wear with it along with heels that I got after my dress so I was all set for the Yule ball coming at the end of the ball.

I was already looking forward to it but till then I continue to assist Professor Snape & help him with anything he needs.