9. Events

*Evie's dress for the event*

Not long after the incident at the Chamberlain's lake house Cassie shows Jane the old papers, but the older woman doesn't recognize them. 

Back at school Diana and Evie walk up to Melissa who was with her cousin. As Evie is saying hi to Melissa Diana says, "Hi. You're Melissa's cousin." "Holden, you remember Diana and Evie." introduces Melissa, to which he answers, with his attention mainly on the older twin, "No. Nice to meet you." 

"You don't remember her? She had the biggest crush on you when she was, like 12. She stopped by the house all the time that summer." Diana then answers, while Evie stands there laughing to herself, "Oh, my God, Melissa. She's totally exaggerating." 

"Now I remember. You were the one who made a necklace out of ribbons you won at the academic decathlon." "Yeah, that's her." Evie can't help but let out a small chuckle at her sister's embarrassment. "I officially hate you. Forever." says Diana. 

Evie sees a chance to save her sister from more embarrassment and she asks kindly, in her normal sweet voice, "So, what brings you to town?" "Helping Melissa's dad out with the gala tonight. Taking a semester off school. UCLA encourages outreach to disadvantaged cousins." continuing to flirt Diana says, "Very charitable of you. So, I guess I'll see you tonight." "Yeah." 

As Diana walks away she gives the cousins an awkward smile and turns to the guy, "Well, it was nice to meet you. I'll see you later, Mel.", and with that she rushes after her sister. Without her knowing a certain blonde guy had seen only the end of that interaction, and was getting the wrong idea about the situation.

Later that afternoon Evie was putting her books back into her locker, getting ready to head out of the school, when Jason walks up to her, "Who was that guy earlier?", she turns around a little startled, "Hello to you, too. What are you talking about?" 

"That guy you were talking with earlier. You and Melissa." "Oh, that. Um... it's Melissa's cousin. He's in town to help with the gala.", she tells him, while turning around to finish putting her things in her locker. "Do you like him?" 

Evie then closes her locker slowly and turns around to face him with a small confused look on her face, "Um... no. I don't. But Diana does." He nods his head acknowledging her answer not saying anything for a few seconds before looking at her again as saying, "Hey, I know we broke up, and that we really haven't talked since then, but we were planning on going to the gala together and... I mean you don't have to, and if you already have plans that's okay, too--", smiling Evie looks up at him and cuts his rambling off, "I would love to still go with you, Jace." 

"Okay. great. Good. umm... just as friends of course. Um... I'll see you at the gala?" "Yeah. Yeah, I'll meet you there, I have to go check on Faye. She's going through a bit of a hard time." Both of them walk out of the building smiling like idiots, and he walks her to her car. She gives him a smile and gets in, making her way to the abandoned house where Faye had texted her she would be at. 

When Evie gets inside the abandoned house, Faye is telling Jake "Don't play the death card with me." "Faye, that's enough." 

"Is everything alright?" Evie asks, making herself known. Jake then looks at both Faye and Evie and says, "I know this is going to be a blow to your overinflated ego, but you don't know me. You never did.", the younger Meade saw that Faye was about to speak and she said, "Let's go Faye. We're going to be late. Oh. and Jake, you're wrong. And proving it is going to do our ego wonders." Faye then smiles sarcastically. 

After taking Faye home, Evie tells the girl, "You could come with me and Jace to the fundraiser you know. We're going as friends. He wouldn't mind." "I don't think so." "Just think about it. You, Melissa, Jason, me. It could be fun. And it could be a nice distraction. Think about it and let me know okay. I'll see you later." Evie had taken the time to talk to Faye about their past and both girls were trying to patch up their friendship.