Once Upon A Time

A/N This is late but it's a pretty lengthy chapter lol. Art above is by @aimasup (https://www.tumblr.com/blog/view/aimasup) on Tumblr! Please go follow them and give them support! TW for this chapter: I-couldn't-help-myself-so-there's-more-angst. Enjoy!!!

7.)

Love has been famously known to make people perform in vastly unexpected ways.

It is a trance that for many years has controlled the minds of man, woman and person alike. Tugging at their strings like they are simply marionettes at its mercy. Lives have been lost and relationships broken. Ships have sunk and skies have fallen. Systems and societies torn down brick by brick.

All in the name of love.

It has been described as an illness, harmful and corrupt. And perhaps that is true to an extent, everything I have thus described to you as being a result of love has been negative. But that does not mean that is all it's capable of producing.

Even the most logical thinkers have been swayed by love. And even the most chaotically aloof have had their hearts broken...

~~~~~~

The night felt almost overwhelmingly like a High School cliché. You know the kind: humid air, fairy lights, crickets chirping and a breeze just strong enough for someone to offer their jacket to a shivering love interest.

Remus Castillo smirked at the romantic environment, feeling light on his feet as he ran through the streets.

Sneaking out had been easy enough, especially when he was no longer sharing a room with his uptight brother. Remus had insisted on keeping the half of the room with the window, then it was just a matter of jumping to a nearby tree and having somewhere to go.

He approached a rich neighborhood and turned right towards one of those dead ends, with just enough space for a car to U-turn out of the clump of mansions.

It was familiar; Felicity Stevens' house. Or, perhaps more importantly, her brother Daniel Stevens' house. The Christmas party had been a full night of trying to gather information on the, dare I say it, "hottie with a body" as Remus described him. And now, with their parents away on a business trip, of course a house party was in order.

Music blasted from the speakers with the bass turned all the way up. Balloons lay deflated on the porch where partygoers stood engaging in underage drinking and smoking. And, for some unknown reason, there was a shopping cart on the roof.

Remus felt right at home.

Stuffing the black hoodie he used to sneak out into his backpack, Remus jogged up to the porch and through the door. Almost immediately, he was offered a red solo cup filled to the brim with some foul-smelling liquid that Remus promptly chugged in its entirety, warranting some cheers from people nearby.

His outfit would've made the Castillo parents run for their rosary. A garbage green crop top and tight, black, distressed jeans with rainbow platforms and one dangling earring on his right ear in the shape of a pentagram.

From across the room a group erupted into cheers as a girl made a point in beer pong and threw back a shot with incredible grace. Watching was a familiar form with a large flask in hand.

"I never really saw you as the house party type," Remus commented over the loud music, slinging an arm around Remy's shoulders. The man didn't even flinch, taking a sip from whatever was inside the flask.

"You're not exactly wrong. My demisexual ass can't get behind the idea of pointless sex. And there sure are some kinky weirdos hangin' out here tonight." Remy cringed as a girl winked at him, "But I've got nothing else to do and they always have free chips, so what the hell."