Chapter 6: An Invite

Throughout Mizuki's school day, she had been constantly avoiding the Aoba Josai Volleyball Club. Thirty minutes before her school started, she had received a text from Hinata, asking her to come by Karasuno. Knowing the rest of Aoba Josai would follow, as soon as school was out, she was sprinting for the doors.

Slinging her bag over her shoulder, Mizuki sprinted for her locker, throwing her shoes inside, and putting on her sneakers. It was then, an all to familiar voice rang through the halls. "MIZUKI! Iwa-chan, has she come through this way?"

Mizuki's eyes widened, and she whipped out her phone, calling a car to come get her. Now, all she had to do was escape Oikawa and the rest of the team. Quietly, she made her way out the building, slipping around a corner, successfully avoiding Oikawa.

Just when Mizuki thought she was safe, she heard a familiar voice behind her, "Sakusa-san? What are you doing?"

Whirling around, she was net with Watari. Frantically she gripped his shoulders, "I was never here, understand? You never saw me, I was already to the edge of school property when you saw me."

Watari nodded. "But, why are you running?"

Mizuki grumbled, "Your childish captain, that's why." Watari nodded in understanding.

"I'll text you when he finally gets to practice, Sakusa."

"Thanks. I owe you one." Mizuki offered a slight smile.

"Where are you going?" asked Watari.

"Karasuno. I made plans with Hinata and Kageyama." Karasuno? But why? Thought Watari. Mizuki noticed his inquisitive expression. "Back when I saw you playing Karasuno at the Interhigh Preliminaries, I exchanged numbers with the team. They asked me to come by today."

Watari held up a hand to wave Mizuki off, "See you tomorrow, then?" Mizuki nodded and took off running, eventually reaching the edge of the school's property.

----

When Mizuki eventually reached Karasuno, she was net with a smiling Hinata, and a slouching Kageyama. Hinat a waved frantically in her direction, his expression just as bright. Kageyama stood still, waiting for the female to reach them.

The female reached the first-year duo, and promptly asked, "So, what are we doing today?"

Hinata grasped Mizuki's arm, and started dragging her in the direction of Karasuno's gym. "Come on, Coach said he had something he really wanted to ask you!" The first-year duo sped to the volleyball gym, all the while, dragging Mizuki along with them.

Just as Hinata slammed the doors open, a volleyball came barreling towards them. A shocked, "Hey!" came from Hinata, who pulled Mizuki out of the line of fire. Kageyama quickly dropped to his knees to avoid the oncoming ball. Noya came bounding over, a sheepish grin decorated his face. He gripped the back of his neck awkwardly, "Sorry about that."

Before Noya could say anything else, Hinata pushes him out of the way and made his way to Coach Ukai. "Coach!" he called, "We brought Mizuki, like you said to." Hinata pushes the girl forwards, to which she stumbles before catching herself.

"Thank you for the invite, Coach Ukai. Though I have to ask, what is this all about?" Mizuki folded her arms, waiting his reply.

Ukai opened his mouth to answer, but someone came running though the entrance waving frantically to Ukai. Takeda was waving a piece of paper frantically at Ukai, "I got it! I got permission for Mizuki-kun." Permission? For what? Miuzki wasn't sure what the permission was entitled to, but she wasn't sure she would like it.

Ukai eyed Mizuki, before saying, "To put it bluntly, we want you to come with us to a training camp in Tokyo." At that, the gym fell silent, before exploding in a chorus of, "WHAT!"

Mizuki blinked once.

Then twice.

"But why me?" she questioned.

Ukai looked away, glancing at Takeda, who nodded, "I don't know what your relationship with the Aoba Josai Volleyball Club may be, but your observational skills are top notch, not to mention how smart you are. Besides-"

Ukai was cut off but Mizuki's phone blaring into existence. Sighing, she took out her phone. "Hello?"

"Mizuki-kun! I'm sorry to bother you now, but will you be available for the Japan Youth Training Camp? I've already informed your brother, and the Miya twins, and I wanted to ask you directly about your attendance of the camp."

"Hitaki-san, I've already agreed to attending the Japan Youth Training Camp. I sent over my submission a few days ago, it should be there in a day or two."

"Glad to have you with us. I'm sure your brother and the Miya twins miss you. I heard about your recent transfer to Miyagi. How are things going?" asked Hitaki.

"Rather good. I've decided on not becoming manager of my current school. In all honesty, I was hoping to avoid the volleyball club until i go back to Tokyo. But I got another offer." Replied Mizuki.

"Whatever it is, you should take it. Have fun in Miyagi. Though you are Sakusa-kun's sister, you should at least branch out and make friends. That's about all I have for you. I got my answer, and will be seeing you in Tokyo. Good luck."

"You as well." breathed out Mizuki. Hanging up the phone, she turned to face the Karasuno team, "It looks like I'll be accepting you offer."

——
Meanwhile, back at Aoba Josai, Oikawa was sulking about Mizuki not being present at their practice.

"But why?" Whined Oikawa repeatedly.

Iwaizumi sighed, "Did you ever think she might have other stuff to do then put up with your annoying ass?"

"How could I possibly be annoying?!"

"I can think of plenty of reasons." responded Iwaizumi.

Watari finally stepped in, "I spotted Mizuki on her way out. She said she was going by Karasuno."

Oikawa's eyes widened and he started shaking Watari back and forth, "But why? What could possibly be at Karasuno that isn't here already?"

Iwaizumi but back, "A place where you aren't?" At that, the entire volleyball team burst into laughter, happily taking in their captain's wilting happiness.

"This is gold!" choked Makki.

"You said it." Matt sun replied.