Chapter 7

Penelope's POV: I wiped at my jersey uselessly before throwing down the napkin in defeat. "Forget it. That'll have to do for now", I muttered as Josie walked out of the bathroom stall, wearing one of my jackets.

"Come on. I bet everyone's waiting", I said, taking her hand and walking her from the changing room. "If you need either me or Hope, just yell", I told her as she nodded thoughtfully.

I really don't want her to run out in the middle of the field during the game. She could get hurt.

"I know, Pen", she giggled. "My sister and I play football", she said as if I should already know that. I blinked in surprise at the new information, but before I could question her on it, Maya ran up to me. "Or at least...I did", she frowned.

"Hey, there's our favorite cheerleader. I was beginning to get worried", she smiled, bumping my shoulder. 

"Cheerleader", I scowled in distaste. 

"Captain says to put you in", she said, pulling me toward the field to begin lineup as the couch blew his whistle.

"Penelope, nice of you to grace us with your wonderful presence", Milton teased.  

"What's that smell", Ethan asked with a disgusted face, causing me to grumble under my breath.

Turning my attention back to Josie, I noticed the coach yelling at someone almost angrily as I frowned to myself. "What's going on over there", I asked.

"Don't tell anyone that I told you this, but I overheard that our quarterback didn't show up to the game. No one knows where she is", Maya explained.

"That's not exactly a secret, Maya", I pointed out. "And I'm not exactly surprised that she didn't show up today. Since she's started again, she's been acting as if the team is on her time. She only comes to games or practice if it suits her", I pointed out. 

"Maybe she's sick", Mg suggested. 

"In the head maybe", I scoffed.

"Penelope", Hope hissed, frowning in disappointment.

"What? I already told you that allowing that basket-case back onto the football team was a bad idea", I shrugged, causing her to roll her eyes as she turned away from me. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Josie's POV: I smiled to myself, watching the teams lineup excitedly as I stepped forward, ready to step in before someone grabbed my arm and pulled me backward. Turning around, I frowned to myself as I looked around in confusion before noticing Dorian standing in front of me. 

"Josie, thank goodness", Coach Williams sighed in relief. "Have you seen your sister? Everyone's been waiting on her", he asked in frustration, causing me to look down at his tone.

"I-I'm s-sorry, M-M-Mr. Williams", I muttered shamefully, causing him to pause as his angry expression melted away to concern.

"Josie, what happened", he questioned as I attempted to hide the bruises my face. "Where's Lizzie", he asked me again, causing me to shake my head tearfully.

"I-I don't...", I whimpered, trying to keep the tears at bay.

"Josie, where is your sister", he asked me worriedly.

"Lizzie", I whispered before looking out toward the field. "L-lizzie", I called, looking around frantically.

"Jo-"

"I don't know", I exclaimed, causing him to step back as tears streamed down my face. "I-I don't...I don't know", I whispered holding my head.

"Okay. Just go take a seat. I'll have someone else cover for her", he told me worriedly as I nodded tearfully. "We'll talk after the game", he promised as I quickly hurried over to the bench to sit with my sister's teammates before hearing the whistle blow, signaling the beginning of the game.

I sat quietly throughout the entire game, before hearing Hope and Penelope call my name. "I-I can't...I have a...I have a thing", I tried explaining.

"Josie, come on", Penelope sighed, taking me by the hand as she led me toward the exit.

"I knew you that we could beat those losers", Hope laughed joyously, causing Penelope to roll her eyes.

"Come on weirdo, I'd like to get home before dark", Penelope said, grabbing her bag.

"Did you see that last pass though", Hope asked her excitedly as we all made our way back out toward the car.

________________________________________________________________________________

Hope's POV: Unlocking the front door, I pushed my way in before making may way upstairs as I heard Penelope yell something about a shower. Dropping my bag beside my bed, I walked back downstairs to see Josie laying on the couch. "Hey, are you okay", I asked her in concern.

"Tired...", she mumbled, causing me to nod absentmindedly.

"Come on. Let's get you in the bed then", I said, reaching over to help her up.

"No, I like it here", she denied.

"Come on, Josie. You can't sleep here", I told her sternly.

"No", she told me stubbornly, causing my eyes to narrow. Reaching over, I carefully picked her up as she shrieked in surprise. "No! Put me down", she said, trying to sound serious as she giggled happily. I chuckled at her reaction, as I carried her upstairs into the guestroom and lay her on the bed.

"I win", I grinned.

"Meanie", she pouted, sticking her tongue out at me childishly as I pulled the covers over her.

"Goodnight", I told her, walking toward the door as I turned out the light.

"No", she screamed, pulling the covers over her head, causing me to turn the light back on.

"What? What is it", I asked her worriedly before hearing hurried footsteps down the hall.

"What's wrong? I heard someone scream", Penelope asked, running up to me with her hair soaking wet.

"Penny...", Josie cried, causing Penelope to hurry to Josie's side fearfully.

________________________________________________________________________________

Penelope's POV: I pulled the covers away from the girl's head to see tears running down her cheeks as I frowned in concern. "What's wrong? Where does it hurt", I asked, looking her over worriedly.

"All the light was gone...", she sobbed out, causing me to pause as I looked over at Hope pointedly.

"Did you do something", I accused.

"Whoa, I didn't do anything", she said, holding her hands in the air.

I looked back over at Josie before cupping her face as I wiped away her tears. "Shh, you're okay. I'm here now", I said before wrapping my arms around her as she slowly quieted down. "Can you go get that nightlight from my room", I asked as Josie's breathing evened out.

"The one shaped like a turtle? Why", Hope questioned.

"I think Jojo may be afraid of the dark", I explained, causing her to nod in understanding before stepping out of the room as I continued to slowly rock the girl back and forth slightly.