Chapter 13

Josie's POV: Racing toward the car, my heart threatened to beat out of my chest as I looked around the clearing before dropping to my knees. "Lizzie", I exclaimed, looking around frantically as tears gathered behind my eyes. "Lizzie", I yelled at the top of my lungs. "I...I don't understand", I whimpered, meeting Hope's horrified gaze.

"Josie? Please, Josie, wake up", I heard someone plea desperately as a groan slipped passed my lips. 

"Liz...", I whispered, wincing as I tried to sit up. "Not so loud", I whimpered, forcing my eyes open as I looked up into my sister's stormy eyes. 

"Oh, thank God", she sniffed, pulling me into a hug. "I...I thought...", she trailed off, as I looked around us in confusion. 

"W-what happened? Why is everything backward? I-I don't...", I frowned, looking around the car as she wiped at her eyes. 

"It doesn't matter. We...we need to leave", she told me, before carefully crawling out of the car. "Come on", she urged, grabbing my hand as she pulled me out of the car. 

"Everything hurts", I whined, shivering as rain immediately soaked through my clothes as she pulled me to my feet.  

"I know, but we have to keep moving. I don't...", she trailed off, meeting my eyes. 

"Lizzie", I frowned, noticing the glassy look in her eyes before her legs gave out from under her, causing my eyes to widen in horror as her body hit the ground. "Lizzie", I exclaimed, dropping down beside her as she looked down at herself. 

"Damn", she laughed bitterly, causing me to frown before noticing a shard of glass sticking out of her side. 

I frowned to myself, watching her once pretty, white shirt turn red as I searched her eyes fearfully. "Liz", I whimpered as she blinked her eyes, fighting to stay awake. "Liz, I'm scared", I cried, causing her to frown as her eyes met mine.

"Hey, look at me", she pleaded, taking my hand in hers. "We'll make it through this", she promised tearfully as heavy rain fell around us. I winced as lightning lit up the sky, causing me to instinctively move closer as I looked around fearfully. "Jo, y-you can't...", she winced, gritting her teeth. "You can't s-stay here", she forced out as I shook my head tearfully. 

"But what about-"

"I'll be fine", she smiled, her eyes leaving mine momentarily as I felt my heart stop.

"I'm...I'm not leaving you", I told her, grabbing her hands, and attempting to pull her to her feet before a scream passed her lips, causing me to wince as I pulled away from her as if I was burned. "Lizzie", I exclaimed, dropping to my knees once more as I choked on my tears. "I'm...I'm sorry", I choked out. "I-I didn't mean to-"

"It's okay", she promised, exhaling deeply. "Josie, look at me", she pleaded, squeezing my hand. "Go", she whispered. "You n-ne...need to go. Keep moving. Get as far away from here as possible. Don't sto...", she wheezed, coughing violently as she winced, nearly curling into herself as a sob slipped passed her lips.

"No", I denied, pulling her into my lap.

"J-josie", she sobbed, as her defenses shattered.

"Shh. It's okay. You're okay", I chanted, holding onto her gently as I rocked back and forth as she tried to quiet her sobs. 

"It hurts", she cried, as I swallowed thickly. "Josie, please make it stop. It hurts. It hurts...", she sobbed, holding onto me tightly.

"I don't know...", I trailed off, looking around helplessly as I listened to my sister's cries got quieter. "Lizzie? Liz", I called, shaking her shoulders as she groaned quietly.