Riverdale And Back Again

People like to say that the death of Jason Blossom changed everything at Riverdale High. But certain things, certain traditions never change. Take homecoming, for instance. Though Jason's jersey had been retired, the Riverdale Bulldogs would still be playing their archrivals, the Baxter High Ravens, with the River Vixens cheering them on.

As in previous years, graduates from days of Riverdale past will come to town to relive their more youthful, more carefree days. Or... to make up for lost time.

............

"Guys, the reason why I came-" Mom started of our conversation. Archie quickly cut in. "You came because of the divorce. Because I called Dad." "You know, I thought that Riverdale would be better for you then Chicago, especially you Sky because we had just adopted you. It would be safe-" I then decide to speak up so I am involved in the conversation.

"It's okay, Mom. Really, I'm okay and Archie is to. And, I mean, it hasn't all been bad. Our friends are amazing. Dad, Archie and I are closer than ever right now, and also-" "You've both been singing." Archie continued. "Songwriting, yeah, and singing." "And you dad  tells me your both great. I hope you'll both play me at least one song each before I go."

I get excited while Archie continues the conversation to Mom. "Yeah, for sure. We are both playing at the dance. If you wanna see us both play live." Mom nods her head and I chuckled a bit. She then says. "I love to see you both do something you love and get along so well. Dad also says that little miss over here has a boyfriend. Spill the details." "You sound like Veronica." We all laugh.

............

We were at a table outside for lunch when Cheryl came up to us. "Sorry to interrupt... but I have an announcement to make. One that tangentially involves you, Betty. I'm bringing Polly to the dance as my date and we're campaigning as co-queens of Homecoming Court." Betty then had to question it. "Because why?" Cheryl continued.

"Because, Nightmare Smurfette, by all rights, it should've been Polly and Jason on that stage being crowned. This is the next best thing. So... don't forget to vote, and I'll see everyone at my coronation." Cheryl puts her hands together and walks away. Jughead then says to me "Remind me how your friends with her?" "I honestly don't know."

Archie then turns to Betty. "Betty, about the homecoming dance. Can I play a couple songs? Sky to? I told our mom that- Whoa. You don't want us to?" Betty then makes an apologetic face. "No, it's not that, Arch. It's just, um...this dance needs to be... fun. And your guys songs, as amazing as they are-" Jug cuts in. "Skys are great but yours Arch they make you wanna slit your wrists."

"Way to put a guy down a peg." I mutter but Jug heard me and put a hand round my waist. Betty looks at Jug before Jug says "In a good way." Veronica then looks at Archie. "In an amazing way. But no need to fret, Betty, cause Archie asked me to sing with him and we're thinking about doing upbeat covers. Sky here writes upbeat songs so she isn't a problem as well by the way." Archie looks at Veronica before saying "We are?" "Aren't we?" I look at the suspiciously and so does the rest of our group of friends sitting at that table.

............

Archie and I came in from the door after school and we saw mom and dad at the kitchen island decided what's for dinner. Dad noticed us and said "Oh, there they are. Kids, your mom and I are trying to decide between, uh, pizza and Chinese food. What do you guys think?"

I think and then respond. "Uh, we always do pizza." Mom speaks up "Let me guess, pepperoni and red pepper?" I smile. Dad starts to talk "All right, so, uh, Moon Palace, they still deliver. We could get-" Mom cuts in knowing the order off by heart. "General Tso's chicken, scallion pancakes, vegetable dumplings, family-style." Archie clears his throat and Dad notices that he is a bit off.