Chapter 8

Freddie

I didn't want to leave, but I knew I had to. 

I said goodbye and left their house. 

A few seconds later I heard the door open and close again and I turned to see Jonah hurrying down the steps towards me.

"Yes?" I said, confused. 

"I'll walk you home. It just occurred to me that we probably shouldn't walk anywhere alone."

We started walking.

"Well you're going to have to walk back alone, too," I pointed out.

He shrugged, then broke into a small smile.

"Okay, okay. That may not be the only reason I want to walk you home."

I felt butterflies in my stomach that probably shouldn't be there considering the situation. 

I smiled. 

"Okay, but seriously. You shouldn't walk alone either."

"I'll call Preston and have him on speaker the whole way home," he replied. 

I nodded.

We talked the whole way to my house, and finally arrived. I turned into the driveway and my heart sank. I stopped dead in my tracks.

"What's wrong?!?" Jonah asked.

"That's my mom's car!" I cried. 

"Oh," he said, shocked.

I sighed and turned to him.

"I guess this is goodbye for a long, long time."

He ran a hand through his hair.

"But maybe she'll be cool?"

I laughed.

"My mom? Cool? No. But I'll try to get out at some point." 

I gave him a small smile. 

"Bye, I guess."

He looked at me for a second, his blue eyes staring into the depths of my soul.

"Bye for now," he said finally.

I hurried to the house and turned one last time before I went in to see him watching me leave.

I ran to my room, wondering if she happened to not see the blanket hanging out of my window or the fact that I was literally not home.

I didn't see her in her room as I passed, and I thought maybe I was in the clear as I opened my door.

Nope. 

She smiled sarcastically as she sat on my bed like it was hers.

"Care to explain?" She asked, standing up.

"How-?!"

"Darling Miss Chesterfield called me half an hour ago and told me she saw you SCALING our house."

I rolled my eyes.

"That old hag can't keep anything to herself," I muttered.

"Fredricka Charlotte, I would watch it. I'm this close to sending you to a behavioral camp."

"Go right ahead. It's better than being here," I don't know what prompted me to talk back to my mom. Normally I cower in her presence. 

Her face went cold. 

"If that's how you feel, then fine. I would start packing," She started to leave.

"You can't be serious," I said.