4: Only Friends

(A/N: What happens when the game is on maintenance? This. Two updates in a week. -finger guns-)

"You keep coming here but you're not ordering anything. I'm not sure if you're just trying to mock me or you don't have anything good to do with your time," it was harsh but, at least, you believed that it was what Diluc really wanted to say.

Being a regular, though not buying anything in particular, you got used to the redhead's personality. Such words almost mean nothing to you that you could easily shove it off. "I just want to stay here. It's relaxing; can I not have that, at least?"

The man crossed his arms over his chest, giving up on arguing with you. When you made up your mind, it's not easy to change, anyways. "Since you have so much free time in your hands, why don't go at the city's back entrance and see if the guards are having trouble or something? I heard they need an extra hand, and it would be the time to make use of yours. After all, isn't that what the Knights of Favonius do?"

The emphasis he made surely had you feel his despise for the aforementioned group but you sighed it off. "I'm not a knight yet, you know that. And I'm just Kaeya's friend."

"Friend. Right. Not sure if you're trying to fool me or someone else here inside the tavern but it would be best if you'd be off now."

You moved yourself away from the bar table and marched towards the back gate as intended. One guard, named Guy, if you remembered it correctly, standing almost sleepily at the mouth of the said opening. The young man didn't notice you for his head was downcast, shoulders drooped, and lips thereafter making a sigh.

What those meant were clear to you thus had you not beaten around the bush.

"Is something troubling you, sir?"

Guy passed a conversational look at you, one uttering confusion, and when he had mentally delivered him his cue, he began composing his response. "Well... Some of the knights had been deployed elsewhere so we're usually short on numbers. That means we have extra work hours. This was discussed and we accepted it but sometimes our bodies just couldn't cope. Sure, I absolutely had nothing to do here but standing all day is tiring. I've been here for more than eight hours now, too, and that's everyday."

You observed him as he spoke, your eyes landing on his. The bags under his orbits you saw weren't a joke thereafter did you not hesitate. "I have nothing to do tonight so I could cover you for, maybe, five minutes? Please do take a good rest after this; I don't think that one cavalry captain would allow us to do this again," you forced a smile, worried for his well-being and his work. "And please don't ask if I'm sure," then, you joked. "I might change my mind."

He was undeniably thankful for your kind words. With a nod, he left, and searched for nearby chairs he could sit on. A few seconds did Guy stare at you as if asking for your permission again but without needing to wait for a verbal response, he allowed himself to drift off to his five-minute long sleep.

You stood in the middle of the gate, watching the scenery you only could see. The breeze blowing chilled you but it wasn't enough to fend you off it. It was boring, sure, but what kept you awake was the safety of the people, and the place you live on.

It wasn't long when you began hearing a familiar voice you definitely could deem was from the enemies. Despite conversing in whispers, with the silence engulfing that part of the city, you were able to comprehend that they were planning to infiltrate the city. Your eyes couldn't see them anywhere but you knew they were close thus you got yourself ready.

The enemies believed that no one was guarding the area but when their leader spotted you, they began attacking mercilessly. You dodged it and returned their attacks as best as you could but you believed that you couldn't hold them for longer until the Mondstadt guard return. You were certainly torn between calling him over and asking for help but, at the same time, you couldn't leave the post.

Kaeya...

At this time, Kaeya probably was too indulged with his time in the tavern or talking to the oldies. That or he was trying to find reliable intel in the area. You could only hope that he was patrolling.

You had to do something to prevent the infiltrators on wrecking havoc, nevertheless.

"Okay, enough!"

They were taken aback when you shouted, causing them to indeed stop.

"This doesn't make sense! Why are you fighting someone that's clearly siding with you? I'm here because I've noticed you lurking around the city and I'm helping you get inside! With you doing this, I might just actually change my mind and have you cleared out by the knights!"

The Knights of Favonius... They don't like them. All of them.

One of the Hydro Abyss Mages looked convinced. "If you're here to help us, why did you attack us?"

"Because you attacked me first! Of course, I'm going to defend myself. Such a shame to see your allies fight together and take you down," you frowned and felt like your little act was beginning to pierce through them.

Kaeya, please come...!

"We should stop... We shouldn't kill allies!"

"But she's a human!"

"As if that changes something..."

"Yes, it doesn't matter if she's a human or not! As long as we equally hate those dumb people, then we make great allies, no?"

"Don't believe her! She's lying, stupid! Take her down!"

One of the mages focused their target onto you but nothing seemed to had happened after you closed your eyes and readied yourself for your doom. If only Barbatos bestowed you a Vision...

What came next were their whimpers of pain as they were crushed into pieces upon getting frozen. There was only one person who could do that, at least, someone actually present in Mondstadt, and you knew who it was.

And you weren't wrong.

"Kaeya, tha--"

Your lips were sealed with his kiss of worry. It was probably the longest you had with him, and truth to be told, you could understand why. It was obvious after all. Though one was covered, his eyes mentally conversed after he broke your contact, asking if you were all right, which you answered with a nod.

Guy had been tapped awake by another guard which made him stand firm next to the captain. You could feel that he wanted to reason to prevent himself from being kicked out of the team but he chose to stay quiet; that would be something you would deal with later.

You didn't ask how he knew you were in trouble since he has connections as much as Diluc does. It wouldn't be as hard as it was in Liyue to know that there was something going on since Mondstadt is unarguably smaller. Not to mention it happened near the city itself.

"Come on, leave that to them and let's get you rested. Are you sure you're not hurt anywhere?" He caressed your hands with his fingerless gloved ones, though thumb was covered; you could feel his affection, that's for sure.

"I'm all right, thank you. I'm glad that you came. I couldn't imagine what it would be if you didn't..."

"You had a way with words," a smile crossed his lips, mischievous if any, as he pertained to your conversation with the mages earlier.

He was there all along.

"No, they were just..."

"Stupid?"

"Stupid."

Then amusingly enough it was, both of you laughed it off.

On the other hand, Diluc, who was surprisingly a minute late, saw both of you walking away. It seemed that it was done, he thought. And as he watched both of you leave the area, he placed his hands inside his pockets, turned away and said, "So much for being only friends."

He didn't have issues with that; he was just amused that you'd lie about something so obvious that everyone in Mondstadt, except you, apparently, knows.