12: Broken Vase

It wasn't the time to be thinking about that in this kind of moment but you couldn't help but feel rather agitated with the way Captain Kaeya worded himself earlier. And the fact that it wasn't pertaining to you made it even more annoying.

The Fatui and seneschal were making things difficult for them and the city, some serpent-looking fire suddenly burst at the gates not long ago which made people fear for their safety but here you were, thinking of something you shouldn't be. Less important, if you had to label it.

"You have to report back to me after you've done your part," sighed Jean. "Dismissed."

Just as when Kaeya managed to reach where you were sitting, you decided to stand and leave the meeting area. Such an action caught both Amber and the Acting Grand Master's attention but you were too focused that you didn't notice other people were looking at you.

Kaeya followed where you were going, and chose to continue so when you vanished off his sight. There were a few seconds that he glanced at the two female in confusion before doing what he planned. "(Y/N)! Hey! Wait!" The door slammed closed for he was in a hurry, the girls looking at each other, puzzled and worried.

You were causing a scene as the other knights in the hallway began wondering what might be the reason you were making the captain chase you all around the area. It wasn't intended; it only was... Your instinct.

You felt that you had to get away somehow, not seeing that man if possible but with Kaeya following you around like this, you surely knew that there'd be a time when you'd actually have to deal with him. However, you didn't expect that that time would come so fast.

"Stop following me," your tone was low and cold, making Kaeya wonder even more.

"What could have happened?" As he had seen the area you both were currently in empty, he dashed forward, so quick that you felt that he teleported right in front of you, and blocked your way. You tried to pass through by stepping into a free space he couldn't obstruct you from only to have you giving up eventually.

"What do you want?"

That had Kaeya taken aback but he was quick to regain himself. "An explanation, maybe?" Replied him.

Your shoulders drooped, a sigh also escaped your lips, indicating that you're opening the issue to him. "Back in the Dawn Winery, you had a talk with Diluc, right? The maid, you...," an exasperated sigh was let out by you as if you were trying to compose yourself to speak properly. "...You told her something. You called her names, you sounded so... So intimate. Did you mean all those or was it just some kind of play? To pleasure people?"

Despite being friends with Kaeya for years and counting, there still are times that you just couldn't decode whatever's running in his mind. Sometimes, it needs some sort clarification, exactly like what's happening at this very moment.

"I'll be back just to see you, sweetie."

That one statement, including a soft, assuring smile running across his mien, struck you too hard that it was the only thing in your mind whilst in the middle of an important meeting. And the fact that Dawn Winery's maid was giggling about it almost had your eyes rolling in utmost annoyance.

Hiding it in the entirety of the time you were with Kaeya didn't last. You knew it wouldn't.

You had known how Kaeya speaks. His words are almost always sugarcoated. People often would hear things they wanted to hear from him, usually something nice and rather appealing. But, most of the time, you knew if it's sarcasm or just him playing around.

Not knowing which one was what happened not long was one of the reasons why you were feeling upset. You didn't know, and you wanted to know.

As always, you didn't get the answer you wanted. And instead, Kaeya threw you another question. "Jealous?" One word, simple yet seemed pretty hard to answer.

You became speechless; your anger felt like it had been washed away by surprise and that you were flustered. You wanted to say both yes and no but none of the two were released. You just stood quiet; that alone gave Kaeya an answer.

He smirked.

"Oh, I see now," the man hadn't said anything yet but that either had your heart racing or you were getting nervous. Perhaps, a great touch of both.

On the other hand, to be honest, the captain didn't know how to respond to that. He had known that you secretly have something for him; he expected that it would happen eventually, with you getting jealous over something he deemed simple, but he wasn't expecting it to be this early.

It wasn't that he disliked you getting worked up over something you shouldn't either.

You looked up at him as he managed a remark, tensed as you waited for his following words.

"I wonder what's making you jealous..."

The tone he used felt like a mockery to you which made you effortlessly take the bait. "Just answer the question, Kaeya," you paused and placed your hand against your waist. "Honestly."

A challenge it was but Kaeya did his best to live up to your expectation but, of course, with one condition. "To be fair, I don't know what's going on with you, so before I answer your question, answer mine first: Are you actually jealous?"

There was hesitation, but he needed to know. "...Yes."

The captain was nothing but amused. "Well, what I told them was nothing but pure lies. I'm sure you're the type of person who could tell the truth apart from a lie."

"The thing is you have a way with words, Kaeya, I wouldn't even deny that. So... I wanted to hear it from you," you cleared. "And since we're on the topic of jealousy, I...," you felt like you needed to gulp and that was what you did, at least, to compose and convince yourself to proceed. "I'm sorry if I sounded rude and too forward, and that I seemed demanding despite us actually not being together but I-I need to know. I need to know if you feel the same...?" You weren't sure if it was a question, a statement or both but you chose to wait for his reply.

That smirk again. "Well, look at that~ Even a keen person like you doesn't feel it? I'm deeply in pain."

Instead of being utterly surprised, your brows furrowed. "Give me a concrete answer, Kaeya."

An upturn curve was seen on his lips. "Yes."

Fortunately, the captain had a handkerchief with him to wipe your tears of happiness away whilst his arms wrapping around you thereafter, making you feel safe.