9: White Mountains

The place felt empty, and suddenly looked spacious.

When one special person who intentionally annoys you all the time is gone, you know that's the time you're missing him.

And you didn't deny that.

"I miss him...," you whispered to yourself upon a sigh, plopping your head on top of your desk.

Unfortunately, drowning yourself with lots of paperworks, and even taking tax issues away from Jean's hands weren't enough to drift your attention somewhere else and not think of Kaeya.

Spots of the Knights of Favonius headquarters where he would usually bother you, secretly steal kisses or touches whilst on duty, generally breaking the fifth edition of the Knights of Favonius handbook, talks of how amazing but lazy the cavalry captain is weren't much of help either.

Miles even grabbed you for a chitchat when he saw you. And what did he talk about? Kaeya. He would often talk about wanting to be in the Adventurer's Guild instead but he couldn't deny the fact that Kaeya has his amazing times as well.

You looked back to the area you were in. When you realised that it just made things worse, you let your head fall against your desk once more.

Jean placed two knocks on the door to get your attention because to her, you looked like you were spacing out again. Well, you were.

She had an apologetic facial expression for bothering you from thinking but that didn't stop her from proceeding to speak. To question you, in fact. "Are you all right?"

You briefly looked at her and forced a smile. "Physically, yes."

"Mentally?"

You didn't respond.

"You're two hours over your shift, now..."

In a fast pace, you looked at the clock, and only noticed that you were when Jean mentioned. You began fixing your table to have it ready for another day but while you were on it, Jean spoke again.

"I would send you with him but I'm aware that you wouldn't be able to handle the cold. Kaeya is a Cryo user; I believe he can handle his mission just right like he usually does."

Jean didn't even need to explain but nothing came from your mouth, you didn't even try to stop her from talking. You just listened.

You weren't sure what to feel. Should you be happy that Jean thought of you and your abilities well before sending you off elsewhere or sad because you couldn't be of help, and that you got separated from Kaeya.

Admittedly, Hydro and Cryo are a good tandem but not in a place full of snow and ice.

All these were answered with another forced smile. "It's okay, Jean," but you weren't afraid to speak your mind. "Well, I don't feel okay but I understand why you had to do those measures. We...," a forced chuckle. "Are both sure only the best ones could do most dangerous stuff," you composed yourself before attempting to speak again. "...Where will it be?" You asked as if he didn't tell you about it before he left.

You knew Liyue nor Mondstadt weren't covered in cold.

"Dragonspine."

Dragonspine... Ah, the mysterious mountain seemingly watching the world...

When your conversation with Jean was over, you started grabbing your things from your table, and bid her farewell. Ironically, you told her not to overwork herself or she might fall ill again yet there you were.

If the Acting Grand Master's hunch of you being utterly weak to cold areas was wrong, you would be teaming up with that particular cavalry captain right now. But she wasn't wrong. And that just made you intentionally let yourself fall on your bed, eyes staring at the ceiling.

"When is he coming back?"

What he said was in a week but it was the eightht day now. Is he even safe?

You shook off the thought because you knew that wouldn't help you in any way. Silently, you did hope for his safety, and ended thinking about it from there. Your arms extended to grab his pillow, and held it close to you.

It would work, you thought, at least while he's away. After all, the pillow was a good substitute whenever he's gone off somewhere or just coming home late.

Every previous night was difficult for you. Knowing that you couldn't hug him closer and that he's somewhere dangerous made you almost sleepless. But tonight, for some weird reason, you didn't remember getting some sort of insomia, might it be that your mind and body were starting to get used to Kaeya's absence? Hopefully not.

Incomprehensible chatters made you move slightly on your bed. You gave yourself time to process if you were going to open your eyes or just continue sleeping. Obviously, you tried the latter only to fail.

A sigh was let out before you finally decided to open your eyes, and watch the windowsill with most probably one or two birds chirping against the glass. One certain bird looked at you for likely two seconds then tilted its head to the side before flying away.

Apparently, you made the same motion out of curiosity but didn't dwell on it much.

Feeling that he still wasn't home, your brows narrowed, shoulders drooped and lips frowned. "I... I really miss you, Kaeya. When are you coming home?" You sighed once more; upon convincing yourself that you had another day without him, you began pushing yourself against your fluffy furniture to stand.

But you were stopped with an arm locking you back on.

?!

You were pretty certain that you locked all the doors you could, and did it utterly surprise you that someone still managed to get in. A catalyst, maybe?

Quickly, you turned to the direction where it came from.

However, it wasn't an old man trying to get his way to you like you thought of.

Your pair of vivid-coloured eyes immediately widened soonest you saw him, that smile you miss so much greeting you, albeit sleepy. You were out of words; tears that had suddenly dropped from the corner of your eyes spoke for you. You were happy that he wasn't scratched anywhere.

Your thoughts were cut off by none other.

"I should get, at least, a hug, right?" Since he was facing you to the side, only one arm extended upwards, indicating a hug as he asked.

"What, of couse not."

But you did otherwise.

(A/N: This chapter's unchecked/unrevised. It was impromptu. Sorry if there are errors. I do hope this was enjoyable enough, haha!)