11: Careless, Restless

"Captain Kaeya!" Swan had no time to salute or show the aforementioned latter his respects for something urgent came up. "She...!"

"She?"

He nodded, almost aggressively. "Yes, sir! We found her outside the gates, staggering and bleeding!"

Kaeya still hadn't heard who it actually was but with Swan's expression and the way he spoke, he feared that what he might be thinking wasn't incorrect. Without further ado, the Cavalry Captain didn't let Swan be heard the next, and only had himself traipsing away.

A part of your clothes had been ripped off, taints of red was appearing against the bandage wrapped around your arm. You had done it again, acting on your own and not telling anyone of your concerns or issues, fearing that you were nothing but such a bother.

Thankfully, Swan was about to return to his post, by the gates, and saw you before you had collapsed. If he didn't, you could only imagine yourself being the nearby hillichurls' dinner for tonight.

Before you could properly thank Swan for what he did, you had to deal with someone else and he seemed utterly annoyed. Uncertain, you were, on how to begin but you knew something needed to be done. With a deep breath, you began speaking.

"Ka--" only to get interrupted.

"Why?"

The tone he used was flat and serious; had it been long since the last time you've heard him speak this way, so as how you would deal with it, you were quite unsure. "I was..."

Despite asking, Kaeya didn't let you finish explaining. You wouldn't know but Kaeya probably already had the intel coming, and gave him the gist of what actually happened.

Aggressive, the Abyss Order is, not to mention that there were Treasure Hoarders making their way closer to the border recently. If you hadn't stepped in, they might had made an ambush and wrecked the city. Yet, at the same time, you silently blamed yourself for not fulfilling your promise to him.

If or when you want to talk about something, talk to me. If you need me or you're in trouble, call me. I won't be fast but I'll be there.

You took a deep breath, and began pulling yourself together. "I-I didn't know what to do; I was alone, and so confused. If I came to call you, I might had put the city or myself in danger. Not rushing and luring them over here were the best bets I had. If I'm going to be in danger either way, might as well make them chase for me and bait them away."

No response.

You weren't the type to tear up whenever you're being scolded but when it came to him, it seemed like it was so painful you couldn't bear. Your pair of eyes watched his hands softly move around to wrap your fresh, still bleeding wound whilst darting next to his covered eye and the other, only to surprisingly make contact just as when you were deciding to focus your attention elsewhere, believing he didn't want to talk about the incident anymore.

Your next step was to look away regardless but there was something in the way he stared at you that you couldn't bring yourself to do what you wanted.

Kaeya gently dropped your arm to your side. "...How do you feel?" It wasn't the question you were expecting. You could feel the concern enveloping his tone but as people would always deem, it might be the calm before the storm. With that said, you remained on guard in case he lashes out.

This time, you're the one who didn't respond.

In a minute or so, however, you started speaking. "Are... Are you mad?"

The captain couldn't believe that with only the aforementioned scenario would his patience be tested but with a sigh, he composed himself as best as he could, and prepared you an answer. "I wasn't... I wasn't mad. I think it's more likely worry and frustration because I wasn't there when it happened. I should be there. I should have...lived up to our promise."

It was true, the rumour about him, that he wasn't simply to forget things, and somehow, Kaeya remembering something that you assumed unimportant made an upturn curve on your lips. "I'm grateful that you think that way about me, really," you expressed, free hand cupping a side of his face. "But, Kaeya, you failed no one. I was entirely at fault for not telling you anything."

You understood why Kaeya felt like he was losing you the moment you were in danger; his past, too painful for a still living human.

As the atmosphere began loosening, you chose words befitting for it. "After all, people who eat a lot can't die quick, can they?" The grin that he noticed to cross your lips made him chuckle which had him bringing his attention back and straight at you.

"Are you saying you'll live far more than I will?" The man had his head tilted to the side, displaying a bit of his confusion and amazement.

"If I stop eating your Fruit Skewers," you stated simply, shrugging.

"What? Fruit Skewers are good! It's one of my specialties~" Kaeya did have a change across his expression as you chuckled at his remarks but that faded away soonest as possible, his question being asked once more. "How do you feel?"

For a second, you were confused but then managed to realise that he was pertaining to your injured flesh. This time, properly so, you composed your response. "I... I'm fine. I wouldn't imagine how it would be if you didn't come to put a bandage on this."

Your wound was a small slash made from what looked like a sharp object. A knife flew next to you when you came into a ramble against a pyro Fatui agent. It was good enough that it didn't hit much except your arm else you wouldn't know what could've happened to you, alone and in pain. You were thankful that you only had to face that way.

Relief crossed his mien upon you hearing that sigh. "Thank the Anemo Archon you're all right," expressed him.

"That doesn't fit you. Cut that out," you replied in a joking manner.

"No, really, I'm thankful you're all right."

The seriousness engulfing his tone had you flinching, and unable to respond. All you knew was you felt touched but utterly embarrassed.

After all, it had been years ago since the Kaeya last expressed what he actually felt.