8.1: Anthony

Despite bearing the usually lively image of the City of Freedom, to you, it felt rather dreadful, and you couldn't understand what made it so. Confused and in wonderment, you began walking around Mondstadt to check if something unnecessary was happening around the area.

At the back part of the city, it seemed normal but as you get closer to the entrance, rumours about something began devouring it. There were whispers of things you couldn't understand, thus knowing more was what you aimed for.

"What is going on...?" You asked yourself upon peeking into a massive crowd which looked like they were stepping away further from the gates in fear.

Envoys destroyed, some parts of it still were burning. Two bodies of people, burned as well, were taken off from the carriage with utmost care. What could have happened, in front of the gates of freedom, of all places?

You went searching for your friend, Kaeya, but he was nowhere to be found.

However, when you were about to leave the premises of the Knights of Favonius' headquarters, sounds of steps captured your ears which eventually made you turn back to check if it was the one you were looking for.

Good hunch.

"Yoho," he greeted. His usual smiling face didn't seem to deliver the same thing it should do.

Your brows furrowed in question but halfway of speaking and asking him what had happened at the gates, you were cut off.

"I suspect it's the Fatui's doing. I'm still not sure. I need answers, and I want them fast," with his words, you knew it was nothing but urgent. Right then, only with the mention of that particular group, you pulled the cavalry captain to the back of the headquarters, and began whispering the intel that you had gathered.

"Kaeya... Do you know of Anthony? That young man the Fatui recruited to their cause? Apparently, after that, nothing was heard of him, but I did overhear that having people into their cause is just a make-believe thing. What they actually do is use these people for their research. They force them to be injected with I don't know, maybe, some kind of chemical that can make them crazy, and then when the experiment fails, they are abandoned. No nothing."

"Where did you hear this?"

"Before the knights were called to their positions to escort the Fatui's envoys outside the city. I took the opportunity when I could," you smiled, not failing Kaeya with all the information you gathered. "They also withdrew from talking their way with the seneschal for whatever reason. This didn't come from them. Just something I got to hear."

"Oh, now that's a wonder," he remarked, sarcastically amazed. "What could Dottore be having up in his sleeves to suddenly do something so drastic? I keep thinking about it but I couldn't get to any until you told me this. Thank you," his half-gloved right hand briefly caressed your face; it was something you loved. "Make sure you're away from trouble while I'm gone, don't involve yourself with anything at all after this, all right? I want you safe."

You nodded, agreeing as you had known Kaeya just wanted the best for you, more so in a situation that Mondstadt might get pushed at the edge. "But, of course, as always, if you need help, I'm here, okay? I'll keep trying to get intel about that serpent of fire incident earlier."

"Set limits," he joked. "Don't worry, I have an idea; we'll eventually get to the bottom of this," Kaeya gave you a sweet, short kiss before waving his hand once and parting with you. You did the same gesture, and headed straight to Good Hunter's to pretend as an ordinary Mondstadt local who apparently didn't have the care to gossips.

That was when you noticed Sara, waitress of Good Hunter, making a face you couldn't understand. "Hello, miss. You seem troubled?"

"Yes, well... Two of the Fatui died in the vicinity of our city... I just hope that it goes well for us in the following days. I don't want to move out and leave my home because of it. It's selfish, I know, but I couldn't take that..."

You acted that you didn't know anything. "What actually happened?"

She told you the same thing you overheard before but you weren't able to say anything for someone else had taken her attention. From the corner of your eyes, he was pointing at something but you didn't mind and chose to think of a possible reason if the diplomats even had something to do with this whole incident.

An incident not different from that one three years ago.

"Excuse me," she called again, waving for you to come closer. "You are a friend of the Knights of Favonius Cavalry Captain, Kaeya, right? I'm sorry to suddenly ask this but can you take this spot for a bit? Two minutes? This kind man told me something's wrong from our second floor. I'm the only one around because of the incident..."

"Oh, um, sure, of course! Please take all the time you need!" You were confused but you did as she asked. Surely, it would help with your little adventure anyways.

The man beside you never left; he looked like he was waiting for someone.

You.

When he found the opportunity, he moved next to you, covered your mouth with some sort of handkerchief with scent that quickly had you falling asleep. Your visions darkened, and soon, you didn't know whatever else was going on around you.

Great. Just as when Kaeya told you not to get yourself in danger...

Sara returned from a fix she didn't need to do for nothing was wrong on their second floor. By the time she took her spot back, the people she recently had spoken to were gone but her focus was on you. "Where did she go...? She said it was fine for me to take my time...," then so, she saw Kaeya.

Amber, the best Outrider of Mondstadt, came rushing towards her superior and didn't even take a moment to regain her breathing. In between, she spoke: "Sir Kaeya, Y/N! Taken somewhere! By someone!"

Kaeya's expression quickly dropped in a mixture of surprise, worry, and anger.