10: Silence Disturbed

(A/N: Sorry, updates are very delayed. I'm still not in the "mood" to write but I wanted to write something. Explanation is on my last post, if you're curious! Thank you for your patience and for reading this book!)

"I looked all over the city for you...," he paused. His statement was an exaggeration; even you yourself knew Kaeya barely even exerted the effort to search for you in every nook and cranny of the City of Freedom. You looked at him when he briefly stopped his words, giving him the cue to continue. "...only to see you drinking that...thing."

Grape juice.

Once or twice you would find yourself attempting to catch him off guard and have your questions about his seemingly utter dislike for grape juice be answered. But, of course, the captain would always be aware, and he'd nothing but divert it elsewhere or ask you a different question that would make you speechless.

You had a hint, and it was pointing at Diluc for you had heard about what happened to them and Master Crepus years back, and that Diluc would choose grape juice over having his tongue tainted with alcohol.

Right then, you convinced yourself that it was nothing at all but as of this moment, you couldn't think of any reason but that. And, without further ado, you made your response.

"Thing? A drink is a drink," your statement felt cold, at least, to him.

Kaeya was now torn. Would he feel bad that someone he likes actually drinks grape juice or feel sad because you sounded like you were defending Diluc? Either way, he played along, pretending as well that he was pained. "Aww, you could have just drank Dandelion Wine. If you want the real taste of a grape, why not take it all the way to having yourself some fine wine?"

"Yeah? But if you're trying to be healthy and wanting to have some kind of moderation, you'd need grape juice. Why don't you try instead of talking your dislike about a juice someone else fancies? Or, you know, you could just keep your opinion to yourself," upon making rough remarks, you turned back to the bar table in front of you and Charles, and proceeded to enjoy your drink.

If only you had known why...

"Oh?" Kaeya wasn't backing down, however. "Sure, grape juice is cholesterol-free and full of vitamins but you're forgetting the fact that when wine is fermented, it changes the makeup of the juice. Its skin gives off antioxidants. Since it contains alcohol, and is taken in moderation, it reduces the risk of you getting some sort of diseases."

Whilst he was explaining, the captain intentionally didn't give you a chance to speak. After all, he wanted the conversation regarding the beverage to stop soonest he could. He would never want to add more fuel into the fire if it came to you.

Unfortunately, you didn't know how to make another retort. Another second, and you spoke. "Well... Wine is from grapes. I don't see myself stopping from drinking grape juice just because wine is healthier. In the end, it all depends on how you handle your liquor. Like that one guy I know whom I needed to fetch to have himself be removed from the tavern because he's about to cause some ruckus and bother other guests."

It was him, he knew, and that remark had him chuckling. "Hey, hey. I can at least handle myself~"

A joker, he seemed. "Lies. You speak as if you didn't miss work for half a day because, apparently, you can handle your alcohol," you emphasised, your focus was taken away from him. "Until that one time you took Death in This After Noon to...death. Yeah, sounds like you can handle yourself, captain."

The man began reasoning. "Death in This After Noon comes very rarely! There's no way I could let the opportunity pass, yes? The supply runs pretty fast, I say, that's why whenever you get a chance to grab yourself a drink, grab it! We wouldn't know when Death in This After Noon comes again so while it's there, we make time~"

"Yes, sir, but that's not an excuse that you had yourself drunk to the bones when it came out not to mention that you were on duty when that happened," you fired the same strength of wit against his. "I don't remember that in the fifth edition of the Knights of Favonius handbook ever being written," you shrugged. "Jean even stated to make sure you could handle yourself whenever you drink, and have yourself ready when duty calls. What did you do?"

A sigh escaped the man's lips, chuckling after. "Fine, fine. I give up. You got me," shrugged him this time. "Well, drink grape juice to your heart's content, boss. I won't pry further."

A redhead crossed his arms over his chest as he looked annoyed at both of you, more likely at a certain Cryo user. "I never forget to say that he should drink responsibly on my premises but he wouldn't listen. Anyway, if you two are gonna argue, take it elsewhere. I'm not taking care of your mess in here in case something goes wrong."

"So cold as ever," sarcastically expressed him.

Diluc made an uninterested sigh upon hearing what Kaeya had just said, hands now reaching for a few shot glasses he needed to clean.

"If I ever have to choose the best wine of Mondstadt, it's definitely Dandelion Wine. Death in This After Noon only tastes good if you mix three parts Dandelion Wine with it whereas Dandelion Wine alone already is good enough without too much addition," said you.

Kaeya, this time, didn't reason out and only respected what you think. "Then again, it would be such a shame to let the opportunity go to waste when Death in This After Noon comes. It would be nice to have you taste it while supplies are enough," he turned to Diluc. "Any idea when it will be up for sale?"

"What, so you can have yourself be dragged outside of the tavern again?"

"Oh, don't worry!" You cut off. "The next time that happens, he will permanently be banned from having anything in this tavern. You might need to inform Margaret and Diona about him visiting there too just in case, Diluc."

"Cold, oh, so very cold," said him sarcastically.

"Not cold, just doing the right thing," though you were pretty sure that you wouldn't let anything bad happen to that captain you cared so much for.

Kaeya knew you were playing along the whole time especially when the latter had seen that grin cross your lips, indicating that you were finished making fun of him. For today.