Chapter 1

Mount Ebott, 20xx

Frisk pov

It was a cold weather in the forest that made way to the mountain. My clothes were getting stuck on branches, my hair was really messy with some leaves and my shoes were a bit dirty for stepping in puddles.

I remember the first time I went to this place, many memories came to my mind, reminding me of all the monsters I met and would eventually become my friends... friends I had to leave behind because of fear and selfishness.

I remember the scene.

We were in the Throne's Room, Asgore was trying to redeem himself, after battling for hours and hours and later being able to hit him so hard it would make him loose great part of his strength. He said we could be a family, and he felt really terrible for all the suffering caused. After that, Toriel, Undyne, Alphys, Papyrus, Sans, and many other monsters that had become my friends came to protect me.

Toriel implied a lot of things about Asgore while hugging me, petting me head and checking if I had any bruises. Asgore, on the other hand, tried to defend himself, saying that he was truly sorry and wanted to fix it. Of course she didn't listen.

Everyone came to check on me, and I felt welcomed after a long time walking alone to reach the castle. It's a true pity that good moments like these never last long.

We turned as we heard the sound of the Kong's armor reaching the floor. He was on his knees, with a hand on his chest where it was visible a deep cut. His expression was terrified.All of the ones among me were shocked.

We ran towards him, Toriel tried to hold him in her arms. His face showed agony.

"Asgore?! What happened?!"

His hp got really low, after our fight, which meant any attack from someone else could've caused that. But who?

I turned my back when I heard a laugh I've heard before. It was that damn flower.

"Well well! Looks like our all mighty king of the underground couldn't resist an attack from a little flower like me." he laughed once again a looked at me, with a mean smile. "Told you not to underestimate the true prince, you ridiculous human."

No words came out of my mouth, I only wanted to strangle that stupid talking plant.

Asgore has difficulties on breathing properly, and little by little, his body turned into dust. We were all so nervous and worried, when Sans pulled me by my sweater and put his face really close to mine, looking through my eyes, very serious.

"Frisk, listen to me, this is serious." he had a tense expression, and was sweating. I nodded. "The King won't last long, so I need you to do something. Get his soul and run. Don't look back. Just open the barrier for you exit."

"But what about you?! I won't leave you all here!"

"Promise me."

"I... I promise."

When we looked back to the circle around them, Asgore was looking up, the glimmer in his eyes had disappeared, and his body was almost fully turned to dust.

"Please, Tori, take care of the kingdom. I know you'll make an excellent job."

He gave his last breath and his body vanished into the air. His soul was still hovering over his dust. I saw Flowey, filled with madness, trying to get the soul, but I know this couldn't happen.

Its vineyards traveled fast through the air to reach the soul, which would break in a few seconds, but I ran as fast as possible and reached it.

Sans looked at me tense, and Flowey looked at me irritated and unbelieving.

"GIVE ME BACK THIS SOUL NOW, YOU MISERABLE HUMAN!!"

As I ran towards the barrier, the monsters that were there watched me as if I were a traitor, which was still true...

Roots grew from the ground and curled up on my legs, making me fall.  I kicked them as hard as I could, trying to let go, when the roots broke.

I ran so fast that the screams of monsters like Undyne became muffled.

I was about to reach the barrier when I turned around and saw Undyne grabbing Sans by the collar of his sweater.  I felt a shiver go down my spine but I ran again and broke the barrier to my exit.  A flash blinded my eyes for a few moments.

When my vision returned, I was in a completely dark place, with a gate in front of me and a symbol I already knew.  Deltarune, the symbol of the savior of the underground.

My legs hurt, and they trembled, my arms had no strength, my head throbbed, not only with pain but with memories of the promises I had made, that I would free them and bring them peace.  But I also felt that this was my only opportunity to get out of that place.

When I left, I saw Undyne yell at Sans, I didn't know why.  I hoped they were fine.  I heard Asgore ask Toriel to take over the kingdom, and I knew she would do her best.  Now regarding to Flowey, I had no idea what would happen to him, or what he would do.

I just wanted some way to get back, but that was out of my reach.  I knew from the start that I could reset that world, but the button was damaged.  There was no turning back.

I pulled myself together and walked slowly to the gate.  I opened it and now I was on the surface.

Everything that had happened after the throne room had been a total nightmare.  As soon as I found myself on the surface, it was a lot of work and chaos to adapt.  Everyone thought I was dead, and when they saw me again, it was like I finally mattered to those people.

I'm here now.  Walking towards that same hole where it all started.  I would keep my promise, I would give them a happy ending, even if it cost my life.

The sun was setting on the opposite side of the mountain, and when I reached the top, where the hole was, I saw it descending in the middle of that orange, pinkish sky.  I approached the hole slowly and carefully.  I thought about throwing myself from that height right then and there, but I didn't remember if the flowers at the end of the fall would still be there, not to mention that my weight and size were no longer the same as when I was 14 years old.  I didn't know if they had thorns or anything.  I didn't know if I had caused trauma to the monsters.  What could they have done to protect their kingdom in the best way, or better said, to protect themselves better from humans like me?

I crouched at the edge of the hole, took out the backpack on my back and opened it.  I packed it with a jacket, food, a hook harpoon, and a rope.  Not to mention a knife.

If you are thinking that I would under any circumstances kill someone there, you are rash.  It was just for safety, or if needed.  I looked around the corner, seeing the plants growing and falling down there.

A part of my head screamed: just throw yourself for the love of God.  Another shouted: if you do that, you will die.  Use your damn rope.

I decided to follow the rope idea.  I pinned it to a stone with the most precise knot I could tie.  I took a deep breath, waved my hands, trying to ease my nervousness.  I turned my back on the big hole and held on tight to the rope.

"It's now or never" I said to myself.

I went down the rope little by little, pulling it to make sure it wouldn't fall, but I would be lying if I said that my descent was good.

My hands started to sweat, making me slip, I tried to keep myself steady, after all I had gone down several and several meters already, and I seemed to see something at the end, but the rope was slipping more and more when I saw that it had already come loose from the stone  , and now it was in free fall.  I couldn't get stuck in any plant, stone, anything.  I just felt my body crashing into something after moments of falling.

And I blacked out.