Chapter 13

I woke up with a huge pain on
my whole body. What had happened? Ah, right, I almost died for the royal guards.

And I thought I was strong enough to face it all. I mean, in a way I was stronger, I feel that I would not have endured the attacks so well if I were 14 again. But it had that disadvantage of not having save points or load, or reset.

My eyes opened, I tried to move but I couldn't. My shoulder throbbed, and it had a sensation of burning. I groaned in pain. That's when I realized I had my head in Sans's lap.

"You woke up." he said, holding me.

I was startled, making my body throb again.

"Where ... where are we?"

"My post, at Waterfall."

He helped me sit up. We were behind Sans's post, at the entrance to Waterfall.

"You woke up!" Flowey came to me, worried. "How are you?? We were so worried!"

"Really?" I looked at Sans, who was watching me.

Flowey nodded.

I looked at myself, my clothes were dirty and torn, stained with blood, especially my shirt. I also saw that there was something bandaged on my shoulder, it was a soft white fabric, also stained with my blood.

"We'll have to stay here for now, until you recover."

I nodded at him, who had looked away.

I felt extremely guilty. I should have been more careful, more agile. I almost couldn't resist past attacks, and if it weren't for Sans and Flowey, my journey would have ended right there.

That's when I felt tears falling from my face.

Sans pov

I was looking around to see if any guards were passing by when I heard a cry. I turned and saw that Frisk was trying to dry his incessant crying. She looked desperate, and tried her best not to make a noise, but she murmured a few words.

I raised her face, her expression was a mixture of pain and guilt, I tried to dry the tears, which mixed with the dried blood on her face.

I made her look at me, and she opened her golden eyes, looking directly at me.

"This is not your fault. You are not weak, Frisk."

She started to cry, uncontrollably, holding my hands, and looking down.

"I'm sorry ... I didn't think ... I thought I could do it, but if it weren't for you, I would have already ..." she sobbed. "I shouldn't have ran, I shouldn't have left you behind, I I shouldn't have come back to the surface, I should have stayed with you ..." I think all the guilt she felt and kept to herself for all these years was being released.

I was extremely surprised by that, which saddened me.

"Shh calm down" I pulled her close and hugged her, carefully. She came up to me, letting me wrap my arms around her. Her tears were wetting my shoulder, but I didn't care.

I stroked her hair, and little by little, she calmed down, until she fell asleep right there.

"She slept?" Flowey asked, approaching.

"I think she was very stressed." I put her in my lap, and held her, resting her head on my arms. "now rest, kiddo."

"You did well to calm her down like that. She looked a bit helpless."

I nodded, looking at her face. She still had that strained but more relaxed expression. I didn't know what to do, maybe if I took her to waterfall, she might be a little distracted, but I needed to make sure she was safe.

For now, I just stayed with her, behind the post, waiting for her to wake up to help her on her way, without being found.

I felt my eyes weigh, but I tried to stay alert.

"Let me stay on guard, don't worry." Flowey said, noticing my tiredness.

"I still don't trust you enough, weed."

"C'mon, you know I would have let Frisk die if I didn't care. Trust me."

I hesitated, but closed my eyes and settled down.

"If something happens, I'll kill you."

"Fair enough."

It didn't take long for me to fall asleep too.

- Author's notes: Hi guys! Sorry for the short chapter! I wanted to do something more emotionally sided, and that was one of the main scenes I had thought of when I started to write. I managed to develop it the way I expected, and I'm very happy with the result! Generally, each chapter has 1000 or so words, this one was only 600 or so, but I'll try to make the next bigger cap!

In fact, I want to thank everyone who has read the fic, who has been supporting me and sending me motivational messages! It makes me very happy, and much more eager to continue writing. I love you so much <3

Until the next cap! 💖