The Bridge

Chapter 10- The Bridge

Connor decided to check on Hank, who was at his house, like he suspected

Connor decided to check on Hank, who was at his house, like he suspected. He was just leaving with an already half emptied six-pack when the android arrived.

"Jesus.." Hank said, "The fuck are you doin' here?" He looked at Connor, while waking to his car, obviously not happy about him being there.

"I thought you'd like to know that Y/N made it home alright."

Hank nodded at him, "Uh, Thanks."

"Lieutenant, if I may ask, weren't you going to sleep your hangover off?"

Hank paused for a moment, " I...I need to think." He paused, "You're not gonna leave me alone, are ya?"

I wasn't planning on it." Connor joked.

"Ugh, get in the damn car."
____________________________________

The whole ride, not a word was said, the only sound was the Heavy Metal from the stereo.

They arrived at a park by the bridge, Hank leaving the car without a word, grabbing the Six-pack.

After a few seconds, Connor joined him, looking out towards the river.

"Nice view huh?" Hank pointed out, "I used to come here a lot before..."

"Before what?" Connor asked.

"Hm?"

"You said 'I use to come here a lot before.' Before what?"

"Before..." Hank paused," Before nothin'..." He looked away.

Connor turned towards Hank," Can I ask you a personal question, Lieutenant?" Hank looked over at him annoyed. "Do all androids ask so many personal question or is it just you?"

"Why are you so determined to kill yourself?"

Hank paused for a moment, taking a big drink of beer."Some things, I just can't forget. Whatever I do, they're always there...Eating away at me...I don't have the guts to pull the trigger...So, I kill myself a little everyday..." He looked at Connor. "That's probably difficult for you to understand, huh, Connor? Nothing very rational about it.." He took another drink of beer, while Connor walked closer to the river.

"We're not making any progress on this investigation..." Connor began, "The deviants have nothing in common." He crossed his arm. "They're all different models, produced at different times, in different places." He looked at Hank.

"Well there must be some link." Hank shrugged.

Connor looked at the ground, thinking. "What they had in common is this obsession with rA9... it's almost like some kind of...myth. Something they invented that wasn't part of their original program..."

"Androids believing in God? Fuck, what's this world coming to?" Hank said, downing more beer.

"You seem preoccupied, Lieutenant..." Connor said. " Is it something to do with what happened at the Eden club?"

Hank paused." Those two girls... They just wanted to be together...They really seemed...in love."

"You seem troubled, Lieutenant. I didn't think machines could have such an effect on you..."

Hank looked at Connor." What about you Connor?" He asked, emptying the last of his beer. " You look human, you sound human, but what are you really?"

"I'm whatever you want me to be, lieutenant. Your partner, your buddy to drink with, or just a machine... Designed to accomplish a task."

"You could've shot those two girls, but you didn't." Hank moved closer to Conner, shoving him by the shoulder." Why didn't you shoot, Connor?" He asked. "Hm? Some scruples suddenly enter into your program?"

 "Hm? Some scruples suddenly enter into your program?"

"No, I just decided not to shoot...That's all."

Without warning, Hank pulled his gun our, aiming it at Connor's head.

"But are you afraid to die, Connor?"

"I would certainly find it regrettable to be interrupted, before can finish this investigation

"I would certainly find it regrettable to be interrupted, before can finish this investigation."

"What would happen if I pulled this trigger? Hm? Nothing? Oblivion?"

"Nothing...There would be nothing..."

For a moment it looked like Hank was going to shoot, but just put his gun back.

"I see the way you look at each other." He pointed out.

"What do you mean?" Connor asked, tilting his head.

"You and Y/N. Y/N's always has had this...fascination on Androids. But you, she looks at you different."

Hank paused for a moment. "And you...there's....something when you look at her. I'm not gonna pretend I don't see the small glances you throw at her. What it is? I don't know."

Before Connor could respond, Hank grabbed the last beer, and headed to his car.

"Where are you going?"

"To get drunker. I need to think." Hank replied, not giving the android another look.

____________________________________

Hope you enjoyed

Love you all