Episode 17

Seraphina's POV

At Wellston Girls' Dorm...

He asked me if he could crash over at my place, but what for? He's already talked to Volcan, hasn't he? Shouldn't it be over? Shouldn't he be satisfied like William said? He's just looking down at his lap with a grim expression. He hasn't said much either...

"Hey, John. Is something the matter?" I asked.

"...she doesn't love me...she never has..."

Huh?

"What do you mean? Who doesn't love who?" I tapped his shoulder.

"Ah! Sera!" he snapped back from his daze. He quickly flashed me a smile. "It's nothing! Don't worry about it!"

Lies.

"John, you can't fool me." I crossed my arms, looking at him suspiciously. "You always give me that fake smile when something's wrong. C'mon, what is it? You can tell me. You'll feel better once you get it off your chest."

I've known him for a year already. I know what he's like. He'll push people away when he's having trouble with something and bottle it up in his heart.

John took my advice and dropped the smile. He made a sad expression on his face. It's kind of pitiful to be honest.

"Sorry, Sera." he apologized. "It's just that my conversation with Volcan went wrong."

So it was an argument.

"How so?"

"I couldn't understand her at all. She seemed like someone who was backed into a corner and forced into a contract, but it was all what she wanted." Tears were forming in his eyes. "She said she loved me, but even so, she still kidnapped and used me for Ember's experiments. It was a lie. I knew it all along, yet why do I feel so hurt? What am I doing wrong?"

His head fell on my chest. I could feel his wet tears stain my shirt and his heavy breathing. But that wasn't important.

I grabbed him closer and hugged him tight.

"It's not your fault." I said. "None of this is your fault, John. If anyone's to blame, it's Volcan and Ember. They're the ones who did unforgivable things. You're the victim here. You didn't do anything wrong."

I let him cry on me a bit more.

How dare you, Ember. 

You do unspeakable things to younger children and make them feel guilty? Because of you, John's suffering. You're a bunch of phonies trying to play hero when it's obvious your actions are nothing but villainous. You're nothing but disgusting.

I hate you.

I loathe you.

He's calmed down a bit now, it seems. That's good.

"OMFG, I can't believe I just cried like that. I'm such a baby." John's face was flushed red and embarrassed. "I am so sorry for crying on you, Sera."

"Don't worry about it." I responded. "I'm glad that you actually let out your feelings. That shows how much you trust me."

He smiled gently. "Hah, I guess that's true. The old me would've never let you see that weak side of me."