Afterword

Seraphina's POV

It's been a while since school ended. The others have left already, but John insisted he wanted to go on the roof. I also joined him because I wanted to walk back to the dorms with him.

It's been a few hours though. And he's still standing here, just staring off at the darkened sky. What is he thinking about that could make him stand here for so long? I could always read him like a book back when he was posing as a cripple, but since the Joker incident, I can't understand him at all. It makes me worried because he doesn't like to tell me anything.

I tapped John's shoulder. "Hey, you've been standing here for quite a bit. Are you okay?"

"Huh? Oh. How long was I out of it, Sera?" he turned at me.

"Three hours."

"That long, huh?" he turned back his head and made a solemn expression.

What's wrong with him?

"Hey, what's the matter?" I asked. "Is it about the rumors? Don't worry. They'll fade away-"

"It's not that!" John yelled.

I pulled my hand away from his shoulder, shocked. It's been a long time since he shouted at people. Especially me.

"Everyone keeps saying it's fine, but it's not! Now that I'm out of the hospital, everything should go back to the way it was, right? Wrong! I'm so confused right now, but everyone just says 'don't mind' all the time! It's hurting my head, but everyone just brushes it aside as if it's nothing!"

"John..."

He was breathing heavily, then sighed. "You know, it's not the rumors that's bothering me. It's my talk with Volcan. The reason I have an ability, the reason I'm on the roof right now, it's all because of her. She gave me my ability."

"What?"

That was the last thing I would've suspected.

"How?" my voice was filled with bewilderment.

"The number of ability vials that were put into my bloodstream created my Aura Manipulation. The vials that contained high tier abilities were supposed to help me copy someone else's ability and increase my aura channels." he explained. "That's why my ability is so different."

That does make sense...

"I'm scared that I'll end up like Volcan. Someone who kills people." He was shaking. "I've already become a monster twice and it got you and Claire hurt. I don't want to turn again and end up hurting someone more than I already have. You guys may think I'm strong, but I'm not. I'm not perfect like you think I am. I have flaws just like everybody else."

Perfect. I think I know more than anyone how suffocating being perfect is. Leilah...she was casted out of my family just because she wasn't good enough for my mother. No matter what, she wouldn't be satisfied and worked my sister to the bone until she gave up and left. That's how suffocating being perfect is.

"John, I understand how you feel. Believe me when I say I do." I said. "I believe you when you say you're not perfect. No one is. So don't go pushing the blame onto yourself. If you're that bothered by it, then let's be not perfect together, okay?"

I held his hands to try and calm him down. It was the least I could do. He took a deep breath and exhaled.

"Okay." He responded, smiling.

"Imperfect." I muttered to myself. "That's what we are, and that's okay..."

Before I knew it, John and I embraced each together with a hug. So warm...

"Thank you." John said, tightening his grip. "For everything. I would have never gotten so far in my life without meeting you. I'm so glad I have someone like you."

"Likewise." I answered. "I think I wouldn't know what to do if I was still stuck in my perfect little corner, studying for the rest of my life."

"Meeting you was the best thing that has ever happened to me." we both said in unison.

John and I broke away for a bit and looked at each other lovingly. 

We both knew it. We clearly loved each other.

"Sera, can I kiss you?"

I smiled gently. "Yes..."

And just like that, I closed as my eyes as John leaned in for my lips while I was on my tiptoes.

John...I'm glad that my first kiss was you. 

No matter what problems we face. 

No matter what obstacles we encounter. 

We'll do it together.

John. No matter what, I won't let you become a puppet under strings again.

I'll protect you.

END

WELP THAT'S IT GUYS! PPUDS IS OFFICIALLY OVER! Again, I'm so sorry that this fanfic was so short, but so many people have read it and I feel glad. Tbh, I didn't expect it to be that popular. I just sat in my desk one day and said, "You know what. I have an idea." I felt weird posting my writing online but I'm glad about the feedback I've received! So again thank you! BTW, you knew I couldn't write a story about John and Seraphina without adding in ONE kiss. If I just did that without adding in that kiss in the end, I knew I would never forgive myself. This story is also tagged Jeraphina too so yeah.

Anyway, that was the end of this story. BUT, I'm planning another one that will be MUCH longer than this one and the episodes will actually be longer. I know that the Royals in this one weren't included much so I'm going to write more about them in my next fanfic! I'll still leave this story marked "Ongoing," but just know that I'm keeping this uncompleted to add info about my future fanfic later. PPUDS ended short lol. That's it! Thank you for reading Puppet Under Strings and make sure to take care of yourself!! Until then!!