Chapter Nine

I didn't sleep that night. I had too many questions. I missed my family, even if they were fucked up. I heard you talking to yourself just before dawn. You didn't make any other sounds. I assumed you were dreaming.  

        I was so deep in thought, I realized something. The view of sand and endlessness. That was it, that was my life now. Unless you took me to a town, that was all I'd ever see. No more parents or friends or school. No more London. Only the desert. Only you.

        Then I heard you scream. The sound slashed through the silence, making me jump out of bed. It sounded like an animal. I thought someone had come to rescue me, but got to you first. I knew it wasn't that though. That's not how rescuing people goes.

        Even with that, I listened for anything else. Footsteps, rain, anything. All I could hear was you, and your screams.

        You were yelling both words and just noises. It sounded like you were crying. I got out of bed, and went to the kitchen. I searched the drawers until I found a knife. I hadn't taken it before because I know I could never hurt yo- someone. 

        Your door was cracked open. I stood there and listened. There was silence for a moment, but only a moment. Then all there was were the sounds of you sobbing. I peered through the doorway. Something was shaking on your bed: you.

"Clay?"

        You kept crying. I took a step into the room. There was a tiny sliver of light from the window shining on your face. The tears and light made you glow. Your eyes were shut tight. I took another step closer to you.

        Your hands were in fists, and you were rocking back and forth. I left the door open behind me in case I needed to run. Whatever you were screaming about before, you'd been dreaming. You were screaming in your sleep, and I wasn't sure if you were awake now.

        You started screaming again. I ran over to you and wrapped my arms around you. I tried to whisper calming things, just in case you were awake. Just in case you weren't awake, I will not embarrass myself by telling you what I said. Just know, I really cared about you then.

        I tried to shake you until you woke up. Your eyes snapped open quickly. You didn't see me at first, you saw someone else. You pushed me off the bed and backed away until you hit the wall. Your eyes were wild, not able to focus on anything. 

        I tried to find your gaze, tried to keep your eyes on me.

"It's George. You're okay."

'George-?"

"You're dreaming, Clay."

        You weren't listening. You crawled to me and clawed at my shirt. You were desperate for my comfort that you pushed away. I pushed your fingers away, but your face was desperate. You sobbed into my stomach.

        After a few minutes of that, you sat up and stared at me with the most confused look.

        "I don't know where I am," you whispered. 

"You're here. You're safe."

        Not long ago those were the words you were saying to me. A lot had changed. We both had. You wiped your eyes, and you saw me. You recognized me. You relaxed your entire body. 

"George"

"Yeah?"

"Thank you."

"All I did was wake yo-"

"Thank you."

Total Word Count: 579