Part Two Ending / Epilogue

Two days after he was released, Clay did what he said he would and returned to the desert.

        He avoided George's room for a few days, devastated that it didn't work out. But maybe it was for the best. Eventually, he forced himself to go inside.

        George's blanket was on the floor, a glass of water was on the table, and the window was open. It was just how he left it. There was a shirt that he wore on the bed. Clay walked over to it and picked it up. It still smelt like him. 

        He stood there cradling the shirt as tears filled his eyes. It was all over. He laid on George's bed and sobbed for hours. His cries echoed throughout the shack, and the only other noise he could hear was the wind. He fell asleep, and woke up right before the sun started to set.

        Clay left George's room and headed outside after he woke. He went to the hill that they both watched the sunset on once upon a time. He sat down and brought his knees to his chest as he comforted himself.

        The sun started to set and the warm tones filled the sky. He closed his eyes and tried to remember when George was there next to him. He focused on every sound he could hear. 

        Wind, the shelter creaking, and footsteps.

        A camel, he thought.

        The footsteps began getting closer and closer, but he was too focused on the memories. He could still feel George resting against his shoulder.

        After a few moments, he looked back up at the sunset but was met with a figure. The figure walked up the hill of sand, and sat next to Clay. He didn't look at the figure, but instead took a deep breath.

"I thought you would be at home right now. In England."

"You- This is my home."

        George rested his head against Clay's shoulder, and they watched the sunset until they both fell asleep in each other's arms once again. Just like the painting Clay once had created.

        You could call it chaotic, but those two boys loved each other.

        And they were finally home. Finally together.

"George, I know the only reason you are here is because you have sympathy for me. You feel bad or guilty or whatever."

"Not sympathy."

        George turned to look at Clay. Their eyes were sparkling in the sunlight and had a warm tone within them. 

"Love."

Total Word Count: 417