prologue

Penny

I have just come to realize how shitty my luck is.

Only a day in my new apartment and I have already managed to lose my only set of keys.

I pull everything out of my duffle bag for what I think is the fifth time, but just like the last time I checked, nothing. I groan and stuff everything back into the bag before sitting against my door and leaning my head back against it.

I don't want to call my landlord, actually, that's the exact opposite of what I want to do, but I have little choice in the matter. I pull my phone out of my pocket typing in the number I'd written down under 'Landlord' in my contacts, my thumb hovering over the call button as the sound of footsteps echoes up from the staircase to my left. I take a deep breath and stuff my phone back into my pocket.

Great, this was the last thing I needed, to be embarrassed in front of my new neighbors.

Behind the corner a large head of bouncy black curls appears, she is holding a Starbucks cup in one hand and her phone in the other. She doesn't notice me as she looks up quickly before looking back down at her screen. A second later she realizes that I'm sitting in front of her on the floor, because her eyes widen and she quickly stuffs her phone into her jean pocket before looking back down at me. She blinks twice before a large smile spreads across her face.

"Hi! You must be Penny?" She asks as she walks past me towards a door with the number 7 on it across from where I'm sitting.

"Uh, yeah," I say, "You know my name?"  I stand, brushing dust off from the back of my sweat pants.

"Oh, sorry, of course, we haven't met," She turns putting her coffee cup into the crook of her elbow, and sticking a manicured hand towards me, "Brooke," she says, smiling radiantly.

I smile back and take her hand in mine, "Nice to finally meet you!"

She glances down at my duffle bag with half of my clothes haphazardly hanging out of it, "Were you waiting for someone?"

"Oh, no... I got um... locked out" I say sheepishly, nodding to my door, "Lost my keys somewhere, I lose everything that's small and losable."

God, I sound so stupid.

"Oh, no worries! I've got an extra inside, you know just in case," She winks before turning back, unlocking her door swiftly and heading inside, "Come wait inside!" She calls over her shoulder.

I scramble to stuff the remainder of my clothes into my duffle bag before following Brooke into her apartment.

As I step inside I stop and look around in awe. It's lavishly decorated with art and decorations filling every blank space while soft plush carpets cover the old creaky floorboards. Plants fill up the empty corners, and she even has different candles and small succulents lining her windowsill. I can tell that she's very particular about having an immaculate but cozy home.

Each room also has a different colored accent wall, the kitchen has a wall that is painted a warm orange which contrasts her living room that is a deep forest green. I can't help but notice as I walk further into her living room how her beautiful collection of art seems to stare down at me from every direction. 

"Your place is amazing!" I say, placing my bag down on one of the swivel chairs at her island, taking a seat in the other.

"Thanks, I've been changing it up a lot, since I've been living here for so long, I like to spice things up once in awhile," She says, walking into what I'd guess to be her bedroom.

She comes out moments later with her shirt off wearing only a bra, a black lacy one.

"What do you think?" She twirls once before looking back up expectantly, "how does it make my boobs look?" She asks, using her hands to push up her breasts.