chapter one

Penny

-Two Months Later-

"Sorry hun, we just don't have enough hours to give you for the spring session, we're going to have to let you go," Trish says, leaning over the counter holding out my tips from the last 2 weeks of work.

"Wait no Trish, I really need this job. You know why" I plead, trying to hold back the tears threatening to spill as I take my tip envelope from her outstretched hand.

Trish hands a man sitting at the other end of the counter his coffee and omelet, before turning back to me. Her eyes are soft, " I know dear, It's not up to me. The business isn't doing as well, so boss lessened the number of hours we have," She walks around the counter coming up to me, her warm hand squeezes my numb fingers, "I am so sorry Penny, I know how much you needed this for dance school."

I nod, taking a deep breath.

"Thanks for letting me know Trish, I get it, harder industry for small restaurants to thrive," I adjust my duffle bag strap higher onto my shoulder.

She smiles warmly walking back around the bar, "I'll let you know if any shifts do open up, take care of yourself."

I leave Ben's breakfast and step out into the frigid morning air, pulling my hoodie up further to cover my exposed neck. Running towards my car at the end of the parking lot I slip inside and immediately blast the heat, holding my cold fingertips in front of the jets of warm air.

What did I tell you, bad luck seems to follow me everywhere I go.

I started working at Ben's as a waitress around 2 months ago after I first moved into my apartment. I needed the money since my mother sure isn't helping to pay for my dance classes. But now, I was truly lost, dance classes at the academy weren't cheap and it was a surprise that I made it in, in the first place with how strict they are there. It's not every day, they let a mediocre dancer into their prestigious school. Them letting me in was huge.

Starting up my car, the anxiety of being out of a job with rent soon approaching swells up inside me. I quickly switch lanes and soon I find myself driving in the direction of the one place where I can truly let myself go, a place to wash away all my stress even if it's only a temporary relief.

I'm pissed about my job, I have absolutely no clue what I am going to do with having to pay for school on top of rent... I do have savings from teaching lessons back home, but that won't be enough for everything. I begin to plan out the job-finding strategy that I'll have to follow once I get back to my apartment. But as I pull into the parking lot outside of Corrine's Dance studio, everything else moves to the back of my mind.

Walking into the empty studio, I change into my leotard and stuff my bag into a locker. Walking out into the dance room I pull my hair up into a tight bun, securing it with a hair tie.

I connect my phone with the speaker system and put on my contemporary dance playlist. Pressing play I let the music glide through me, awakening my blood.

The beat thrums under my skin and I slowly get lost in the rhythm as it guides my body to the beat, I feel my core being pulled by the notes.

Adrenaline courses through my veins as the music tempo builds, and soon I am moving around the room in twirls and leaps, my body loosening up from all the stress that has been building. It's been so long since I have had the free time to just let go, with the hours I was working plus some dance classes, there was no time for me to just feel the music.

A little bit later I collapse onto the floor breathing heavily as my timer chimes, reminding me of my dinner with Brooke tonight. I go back to the speakers and unplug my phone, checking to see if there are any missed notifications. None, but I'm not really surprised.