chapter three

Penny

Standing in front of my full-length mirror, I stare back at my reflection and for a second I don't recognize her. My light brown hair reaching down to about my shoulder blades in loose ringlets that I used my newly purchased curling iron on. My hazel eyes sparkle in the dim lighting, largely due to my dark winged eyeliner which is the sharpest I've ever gotten it. Brooke convinced me to borrow one of her more revealing dresses where my chest is the main focus. The dress is tight and black, hugging my hips and stopping around mid-thigh.

I'm not going to lie, I look good. But at the same time, this version of myself is someone I never thought I'd see. That may be my mom's inner monologue playing in the back of my head, my subconscious always seems to want to make me consider her opinion. I cringe at the thought of my mother and turn away from the mirror.

I quickly reapply my lip gloss while grabbing my purse and jacket. I lock my door and run across the carpeted hallway barefoot, my heals dangling from my fingertips.

I knock softly on Brookes's door and push it open revealing her lush interior. I think I'll always be shocked by her amazing interior design skills.

Laughter echoes down the hallway as I drop my jacket, purse, and heels by the front door before following the sound to the source. Brooke's friends—I guess my friends now—are all sitting on her couch with drinks in their hands, they all look up when I walk in.

"Penny!" Marlee exclaims hopping out of her boyfriend's arms and running over to give me a hug.

"Hey, guys!" I exclaim over Marlee's shoulder.

My eyes meet Connors, and I almost burst out laughing at his expression, as his eyes roam over my body, before meeting my eyes and smiling.

"You look gorgeous," He says.

His words make my cheeks heat up from the attention.

"Thanks, Con" I look back at the group who's eyes are darting between Connor and I.

"So who's got the booze," I say loudly breaking the silence.

Marlee laughs as Jack holds up a bottle of Captain Morgan. My toes tingle at the thought of the liquid burning down my throat.

I quickly go to sit in between Brooke and Connor on the couch and accept the shot Connor passes to me.

We all cheers in the center of our small circle and shoot the drinks back, The burning feeling awakening my senses.

-

We are huddling together in a circle as we stand in line waiting to get into this club.

"What is this place, Brooke?" I ask turning to look at the massive warehouse we are standing in front of. It's ginormous like I'm not exaggerating when I say that three pirate ships could fit inside. Okay, maybe not that big.  But believe me, it's huge.

The line spans from the end of the block to the entrance which is now only about ten people away from us. Connor has offered me his coat multiple times while we've been waiting but I said no, lucky enough to have brought mine. It's freezing outside September air is not kind.

"This place is where its at.. I've never been inside its like super hard to get into, but I scored us tickets from someone on the team who couldn't go... you know because they've got that bank" She smirks, and rubs her index and thumb together as she says this.

"This place doesn't look too exclusive" I say, smiling and rolling my eyes, what can be so special about an old looking warehouse. It's creepy that's all.