chapter seven

Penny

The tears won't stop streaming down my cheeks.

I watch through blurry eyes as a few men drag Connor out of the room by his hands. His head is slumped forward and his face is unrecognizable with the amount of blood streaming from the cuts and gashes. I don't know if he's even alive.

It seemed like I was screaming for an eternity, my voice is all scratchy, my vocal cords are probably strained from the amount of time I had been yelling into the tape.

The man who was punching Connor stopped after a while after Connor stopped moving. I could tell that Mr. Bridger wanted the assault to keep going—wanted to push Connor's life as far as he could to the edge. I have no clue if he pushed too far and if I was actually punished with my friend's death.

Because if I had just watched Connor get beat to death, I don't think I could live with that.

Someone comes up and rips the tape off of my face, cool air sweeps into my mouth soothing my raw throat as I breathe in deeply. I close my eyes to take in the relief that spreads through me as I calm my senses from the stress of only a few moments before.

When I open my eyes Enzo is staring directly at me, a satisfied smug smirk is spread across his face, his hands clasped underneath his chin as he assesses me.

I don't give him the satisfaction of seeing me anymore hurt than I already am, so I plaster on an equally smug expression onto my features, trying to school myself into looking calm, to not let my emotions show. I know myself and if there is one thing that I can't seem to control, it's my tendency to over emote, I'm always crying while watching anything remotely sad—Disney movies are always a good sob fest with me.

His smile drops and he snaps his fingers, someone steps up to the table instantly producing another pale yellow folder.

"So... Penelope..." He says, his voice so monotone it's almost soothing. Almost.

"Is he alive?" I ask before he can continue.

Enzo raises a brow as he looks up from the file. He considers me a second more, then nods once,

"Barely. His life rests in your hands now. You either do as I ask or he and yourself will meet untimely ends," He sighs as if this is the saddest news, but I don't doubt for a second that he'd be happy to see me dead, then all his problems would disappear, but I won't give him the satisfaction.

"What do I need to do?" I ask, my voice is cracking and raw, it sounds like I had just been screaming at a One Direction concert or something.

"I will make a deal with you Ms. Jones," Enzo says, his attention fully on me, his intense stare makes me feel so small.

"I want you to work for me," he says, "to save your friend and your life, you will, in turn work for me here, gathering information that I need," he says finally, casting a sidelong glance to one of the men standing by the door.

"Work... for you?" I ask, shocked.

"Yes, it has been brought to my attention that you have financial troubles so in return for your friend's life, you will be in my debt and your work will be to repay that debt," he looks down at the file, "I have no doubt that a pretty young girl like yourself will have no trouble retrieving the information I request from my many adversaries," he smirks, his eyes narrowing slightly on me.

The idea of having to strut around and gather his information for him makes me sick, it's like he wants me to be his little golden retriever fetching everything he's throwing. The thought of owing anything to one of the most influential people in New York is terrifying. It scares me to think about how much power he has to take my life away, but what's more, is the fact that he not only controls me but now holds the fate of all the most important people in my life in his hands.

I suddenly feel very exposed in such a small space with all these unknown men whose eyes are on me. My skin is bristling under their cold gazes and I hold my focus on the palms of my hands, tracing the lines on the insides of my palms with my eyes, trying not to think about their penetrating gazes that feel like they are roaming all over my exposed skin.

Mr. Bridger slides a paper down the table to me, I pull my hand against the cuffs to reach for it, opening the folder I look it over; it's another contract but this one seems to be more formal.

I __________, promise to abide by the rules put in place by Enzo Bridger in the signing of this contract. I hereby agree to the following:

1. Promise to keeping the basis of this deal a secret from all outside parties.

2. All the requirements in this contract must be upheld by the basis of this deal and will be followed through according to the time and place set by Enzo Bridger.

3. Follow through with all of the tasks required of you until the debt is repaid in full.

4. I will not under any circumstance repeat what was witnessed this evening or will have to face the consequences.

If any portion of this contract is breached the punishment will be to silence the subject from any further public slander. In other terms death.

I scan over the page a few times trying to understand it, and I specifically don't miss the striking symbol of the snake coiled on the top corner, the same one I saw early on the corner of the other sheet I signed.

This contract seems too detailed to only be something he's used once, it makes me think that he has done this to many many other people. That thought alone makes me sick.

I begin to understand that The Den must be run by most of the people caught up in these contracts who are still trying to pay off their debts.

"What's the cost of my debt?" I ask, looking back up to him.

"Ah, a great question... most of the debts I hold are related to issues concerning money. And since our little mishap, this evening was much more drastic, I think the repayment will indeed be much more permanent."

"I have a future planned... things that I want to do with my life..." I begin to say.

"Yes and that is all very well, and you will be able to accomplish it all. Since I will also be paying you money for these jobs, think of it more like a part-time job rather than a more permanent position." He slides a pen down the table, "I will see fit when your work has been deemed enough to repay the cost of the debt," His statement seems to be final.

So what I've taken from this is that I will basically be owned by The Enzo Bridger for the foreseeable future with both Connor and my life on the line. If I don't take this deal I will die, if I do then I may still die, but I will be paid. More of a chance to achieve my dreams and pay my way through school, towards my goal.

I can make it work, this impossible deal. Even if my life is forever in his hands, even if I need to be his puppet. I won't let him hurt my friends anymore, I will take control of this situation and succeed, however long that may take.

I pick up the pen and scribble my name across the dotted line at the bottom of the page, my last moments of true freedom close in around me as I sign my life away to the devil.