thirtytwo.

EMERALD

The war seemed like it wouldn't end. Draco, Goyle, Zabini and I kept on going, fighting off anything. We kept on moving backwards, back into the building until the Dark Lord sent a second message, whispering into our heads.

"You have fought valiantly. But in vain. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a terrible waste. I command my forces to retreat. In their absence, dispose of your death with dignity. Harry Potter, I now speak directly to you. On this night, you allowed your friends to die for you rather than to face me yourself. There is no greater dishonour. Join me in the Forbidden Forest and confront your fate. If you do not do this, I shall kill every one who tries to conceal you from me."

All the Death Eaters apparated at the Lord's command except Draco and I, not knowing what to do or where to go. Everyone gathered at the entrance, surrounded by dead bodies and students sobbing. We didn't know where Goyle or Zabini went, leaving Draco and I to sit in a corner, away from everyone.

*

Minutes passed by and the sky cleared. Soon after, the Dark Lord himself approached us, with Nagini by his side, followed by Hagrid and Death Eaters, including my parents and Draco's, who were standing in front. Neville was already outside, holding onto the Sorting Hat as the rest of us came outside.

"Who is that Hagrid carrying?" Ginny asked, standing beside Neville.

I looked at Hagrid, his face was full of sorrow and that was all that I needed to know.

As more and more people came to the courtyard, the Dark Lord smiled, "Harry Potter is dead!" He announced victoriously. A shocked Ginny tried to run towards Harry, only to be stopped by her father. "From this day forth, you all will put your faith in me."

The Dark Lord turned to face his Death Eaters, laughing, "Harry Potter is dead!" And they all laughed.

I stood next to Draco, not knowing what to do.

"Come forward and join us!" Voldemort declared with joy, if that was even possible for Him, "Or die."

No one moved and time stood still. My parents were looking at me, telling me to come forward, to join them. I looked over to Lucius and Narcissa, they were doing the same.

"Draco," Lucius called and everyone looked at him, "Draco."

Draco gulped, his face full of uncertainty.

"Draco," Narcissa said, "Come." She said, her hand reaching out to him.

I looked at my parents once more and mom reached out her hand, doing what Narcissa did, "Emerald."

All eyes were on us now. I sighed and Draco took a deep breath as we walked down the stairs, our footsteps echoing against the tension.

"Ah, yes. Well done you two." The Lord said, as we approached him. It didn't end there, he gave the both of us a welcoming hug, placing us in an awkward position and still, no one made a move.

We continued on walking towards our parents, towards our group with my feet ready to run back.

This is not what I wanted.

Mom immediately hugged me as I arrived in front of them. My eyes averted to Draco, who was in Narcissa's embrace.

"Well I must say I'd hope better." Voldemort said as Neville started walking towards him, carrying the Sorting Hat.

I subtly looked at Neville, trying to shake my head as discreet as possible but he kept on walking. Limping, to be exact.

The Death Eaters laughed.