Sweets

My heart throbbed. I didn't want to look at him. My heart was racing. I stared at the evening sky, just as him, except I'm sure I looked so nervous. 'What does that even mean? Am I just... interpreting it wrong?'

"So, like best friends?" I force a grin as I turn to look at him.

Again, he takes a second to respond but he nods with that beautiful smile. "Sure, best friends."

After that exchange, it was really quiet for a couple of minutes. It was getting darker by the second, and trees rustled more and more. You could even hear crickets and other bugs.

The silence wasn't a suffocating one, but instead, it felt right. It felt like it was needed so the both of us could just enjoy each other's company without worrying about other things like, if Satan likes me or not.

"So, you don't eat sweets in Hell?"

"You can, but it's very different from human food."

His voice was so alluring. Just the way he spoke and how he sounded was perfect in every way anyone could imagine.

"What's your favorite?" I ask, genuinely curious to know more about him.

"Honestly, I'm not one for sweets." He laughed with a crooked smile, glancing at my curious face. He quickly looked away. "Well, there's one thing I've been dying to try."

I sit up immediately, leaning towards him. "Tell me!"

His eyebrow raises as he swats me away with his hand. "What? Why the sudden interest?" He laughed, leaning towards me.

I hadn't even noticed how close we were getting, it seemed natural.

"I don't know, I'm just curious about the evil Satan!" I emphasized as I giggled while slightly blushing.

"Evil?" Satan chuckled, drawling out the word. His hand then cupped my cheek, lightly caressing it. I was immediately stunned, and it was like I had tunnel vision, all I can see is him.

The silence between us had become deafening and there were no more smiles or laughing, only slightly parted mouths as we stared at each other. I was scared to break away.

"You really think I'm evil?" He whispered, titling his head a bit as he moved towards my lips. I felt his breath against my lips; as much as I wanted to kiss him, it was too early. 'I-... this might be a mistake.'

I put my hand up, placing it on his mouth as a barrier to keep our lips from touching. "No, I could never see you as evil." I smile, looking away for a second in embarrassment. "Thank you for taking me out tonight."

Satan touched my arm, moving it away from his lips.

"Of course." Satan stood up, holding out his hand to me. "We should get going."

I take his hand, pulling myself up with ease. "Mhm! Let's go." I grab Satan's hand and lead the way, trying not to show him how flustered I was. I was also letting him know that although I rejected the kiss, I still like him.

'Damn, this is so crazy. 'Still, I don't think it's right for me to do that. I mean... who am I?'

-----

We just got home, sighing as I closed the door behind me.

"Okay! I'm gonna go to bed now, are you okay sleeping on the couch?" I ask, feeling slightly bad I don't have a room for him.

"It's fine, no need to worry." Satan says, casually placing his hand on my head. "Get to bed."

I got quiet for a second, wondering if I should say what I'm about to say.

"Do you-"

"By the way, I can purchase a house for you. Any house."

"Hm? What!? How?"

Satan reaches in his pocket and pulls out the card from the other day. "Using this."

Before I could say anything, Satan continued.

"We basically have an infinite of money on here. When dead souls work off their debt, we turn that into human currency."

"How do you mean?" I was genuinely curious, and also slightly excited at the idea of getting a new place.

"Let's put it this way..." he paused and placed his hand on his hip. "There are limits in the human world. These limitations were made to keep from otherworldly entities from causing an imbalance." Satan started to pace a bit as he explained.

"For example, as I was created by God,  I am an otherworldly entity, and a powerful one at that. But here in the human realm, I can only do so much. Regular entities cannot come to and from the human realm however and whenever they please, but I can."

I was intrigued. "But, how?"

"I use an item that exists both in the human realm, and in the underworld. It can be any item that exists in both. I then use that item to teleport, basically." He laughs, rubbing the back of his head with a bored eyeroll. "It's very difficult to explain how to teleport, but it comes naturally to most otherworldly entities."

Nodding, I place my hands on my hips. "So... about the currency thingy?"

His eyes widen as he pats my head. "Oh right!"

I smile at his excitement, even if he's just explaining regular ole Hell stuff.

"Hell is a place where unfulfilled souls go. Or, corrupt souls that had only caused harm or imbalance within the human realm. Instead of physically punishing souls, they are put through a sort of rehabilitation." Satan explains, using hand gestures as he talks.

'His voice is usually so distractingly hot but, watching him talk about his home makes me feel good. Like, he trusts me! And that's all I can think about.'

"Depending on the life you have lived, determines how many years you spend in Hell. A lot of factors go into determining the amount of years you spend in Hell, but let's ignore that." Satan pauses to stare at me with wide eyes.

"Sorry, am I talking too much?"

I shake my head, "No! No, if course not! This is super interesting!"

He raises his eyebrow, crossing his arms with a smile. "You know, it's completely fine if you don't want to listen. I understand this isn't the most exciting topic."

I place my hands on his shoulders, slightly shaking him. "Please! I'm not lying to you! This is genuinely interesting!"

Satan's smile stays plastered on his face. "Alright. Thank you."

With a nod I take my hands off of his shoulders, taking a step back to give him space.

"Well, as I was saying..."