An Elf and a Wizard

Amara arrived at the outskirts of Hobbiton to find Gandalf already waiting for her. He was sat on the front of a cart full of fireworks pulled by a brown and white horse. They both had the honour of being invited to Bilbo's one hundred and eleventh birthday party. It had been a while since Amara had travelled this far west and she was looking forward to seeing the Shire and her dear friend again.

She smiled to Gandalf as she approached him, but he did not return it.

"I thought we warned you to never travel alone." Gandalf raised an eyebrow at her as he referenced the agreement that had been made after what had occurred at Erebor.

"I didn't." She said as she climbed onto the cart and sat on the bench. "My brothers accompanied me to the edge of Bree, before heading back to Rivendell."

"No Legolas?" Gandalf inquired as he urged the horse onward.

"Thranduil called him back to Mirkwood, but failed to give a reason as to why." Amara informed him.

She had always loved visiting the Shire. It was so much more peaceful than the rest of Middle-Earth. There were no orcs, goblins or anything else that could be a potential threat. As they were passing through the East Farthing Wood, Gandalf began to hum and sing to himself. Amara smiled as she listened and regarded the stunning greenery they passed. 

As they passed through onto the main road that led into Hobbiton, a rather mischievous looking hobbit appeared on the banking that framed the right-side of the road.

"You're late." Frodo said, crossing his arms with a smile.

"A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." Gandalf gave the hobbit a hard stare as Amara raised an eyebrow, but soon all three of them were laughing.

"It's wonderful to see you both!" Frodo said as he jumped onto the cart to hug them both.

"You didn't think we'd miss your Uncle Bilbo's birthday?" Amara laughed as Frodo sat between them. Amara had realised when Bilbo had first introduced her to him that Frodo was the hobbit that she had seen in her vision of the council in Rivendell all those years ago. Ever since she had been waiting for something to happen. Now more than ever as the darkness seeped back into the world and Frodo grew older and started to look more like he had in the vision.

Gandalf urged the horse onward before speaking again. "How is the old rascal? I hear it's going to be a party of special magnificence."

"You know Bilbo, he's got the whole place in an uproar." Frodo said.

"Well that should please him." Amara chuckled, pushing the thoughts of her visions to the back of her mind.

"Half the Shire's been invited. And the rest of them are turning up anyway." Frodo said as the woodland began to thin out and farmers fields replaced it. The three of them laughed and gained odd looks from the hobbit's that they passed.

They rode up and across bridges, and past many little hobbit holes. Hobbits lived in houses built underground with colourful, circular doors. To an elf and a wizard, it seemed very peculiar, but to the hobbits, well, they would not have it any other way.

"To tell you the truth, Bilbo's been a bit odd lately. I mean, more than usual." Frodo's face became clouded with worry. "He's taken to locking himself in his study. He spends hours and hours poring over old maps when he thinks I'm not looking. He's up to something."

Amara and Gandalf exchanged a glance. They knew what Bilbo was planning. The old hobbit had grown restless, he wanted to see mountains again. So, he was going away, away from the Shire. Elrond had told him he was welcome in Rivendell and Bilbo intended to take him up on the offer.

Frodo noticed their glances and smiled. "Alright then, keep your secrets."

"What?" Gandalf feigned ignorance.

"But I know you both have something to do with it."

"Good gracious me." Gandalf muttered.

"Before you came along, we Bagginses were very well thought of." Frodo said.

"Indeed." Amara smiled.

"Never had any adventures or did anything unexpected."

"If you are referring to the incident with the dragon, I was barely involved." Gandalf said. Amara raised an eyebrow at him. "All I did was give your Uncle a little nudge out of the door."

"Whatever you did, you've been officially labelled a disturber of the peace." Frodo informed him.

"Oh, really." Gandalf looked mildly surprised.

As they rode further into the town, a group of children began following them calling Gandalf's name. Gandalf's fireworks were famous among the hobbits and they all wanted to see them before the party. They all sounded disheartened however, as the cart rounded a corner. Frodo and Amara looked at Gandalf expectedly and the fireworks went off and all the children cheered.

"Gandalf, I'm glad you're back." Frodo said as he stood.

"So am I, dear boy." Gandalf said as both Frodo and Amara jumped down from the cart. "And stay out of trouble." Gandalf kept his eyes on Amara.

"Don't I always." She laughed before following Frodo to help with the party arrangements.

"No, my dear, you do not." Gandalf murmured as he continued to Bag End.