Gandalf Leaves the Shire

Amara and Frodo finally managed to escape the rowdy hobbits and made their way to Bag End. Frodo entered first and noticed a ring lying on the floor. He lent down and picked it up. Amara froze in the doorway as he did so. She took a deep breath to calm herself and prayed that this did not mean what she thought it meant.

Bag end was dimly lit and eery as they walked over to Gandalf who was sat in front of the fire smoking, seemingly very deep in thought. He didn't even seem to notice them enter.

"He's gone, hasn't he?" Frodo said slowly. "He talked for so long about leaving, I didn't think he'd really do it." Frodo stood at the wizard's side but Gandalf still didn't move. "Gandalf?"

Gandalf turned and noticed the ring in Frodo's palm. "Bilbo's ring. He's gone to stay with the elves, with Amara's kin. He's left you Bag End." Gandalf held out an envelope for Frodo to place the ring in. As soon as it was placed in Gandalf took it back and sealed it. "Along with all his possessions. The ring is yours now." Gandalf handed Frodo the envelope. "Put it somewhere out of sight."

Frodo went off to hide the ring and Amara turned to Gandalf. "Please tell me this does not mean what I think it means."

"I am afraid I cannot. I do not have enough information. I must ride to Gondor at once." Gandalf told her before standing and beginning to collect his things. "Stay here with Frodo until I return, I fear the shire will not remain safe for long."

Amara nodded.

"Where are you going?" Frodo asked as he came back into the room and saw Gandalf gathering his belongings.

"There are some things that I must see too."

"What things?" Frodo asked.

"Questions. Questions that need answering." Gandalf grabbed his hat and his staff.

"You've only just arrived." Frodo sounded desperate. "I don't understand."

"Neither do I. Keep it secret. Keep it safe." Gandalf said before leaving shutting the door, leaving behind a very confused hobbit and a very worried elf.