What the Future May Hold

Amara was stood at the edge a forest. It was one that she did not recognise; foreign trees and pathways. There was a wide river meandering through the trees and as she turned to look at it, she noticed herself, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli stood on the river bank. There were two boats on the shore and another in the distance, almost across the river. Her eyes widened as she noticed Frodo and Sam clamber out on the other bank. Wondering why the rest of the fellowship weren't following, she walked closer to the river bank.

Her heart stopped as she looked inside the boat Aragorn had just launched into the water. Boromir was lying in the boat, dead. There were multiple puncture wounds in his torso.

"We will not abandon Merry and Pippin to torture and death." Aragorn's voice caught her attention.

She watched as herself, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli collected their things and took off into the woods. She was just starting to wonder where Gandalf could be when the vision dissolved.

Amara woke with her heart pounding. The room was pitch black so she knew she could not have been asleep for long. Legolas was still sleeping soundly next to her as she carefully removed herself from his grip. She pulled on her robe and left the room. She did not quite know where she was going and before she realised it, she was stood on the terrace where her father had read the moon runes for Thorin sixty years prior.

Her heart was still racing as she tried to figure out why exactly she had come here. She walked up to the stone alter and let her fingers trace the carvings that covered the sides. This was the first time she had been down here without her father. She never really thought about it outside of when he offered to teach her something new about moon runes or the constellations.

She lowered herself to the floor and lent back against the alter. Her arm was throbbing but her heart rate had almost returned to normal. She closed her eyes as she couldn't help but think back to the vision of Thorin, Fili and Kili being laid to rest that had come to her in Mirkwood. At least she had seen both outcomes last time, this time though, she only saw the one. And just like last time, she did not see how it happened so she had no idea how she could save Boromir.

She was so lost in her thoughts that she did not hear the two pairs of feet descending the stairs.

"There you are." Elrond breathed a sigh of relief as Amara opened her eyes to look at him. He turned to the guard that was with him. "Go inform Legolas and Aragorn that we have found her." The guard nodded and left to relay the message as Elrond approached his daughter. "You gave us quite the fright."

"I am sorry, it was not my intention." She found her left hand tracing the grey lines on her right.

"Is there any particular reason you are down here?" Elrond lowered himself to the floor next to her.

"I saw something else." She murmured, unwilling to say it out loud because that would make it real. "I was in a forest; one that I did not recognise. The fellowship...it was...broken. Frodo and Sam had gone on alone; Merry and Pippin had been taken though I do not know by what; Gimli, Aragorn, Legolas and myself were preparing to go after them; Boromir was dead, shot and laid to rest in a boat; and Gandalf- Gandalf was nowhere to be seen."

"These things may never come to pass." Elrond assured her.

"Last time I saw someone dead I saw two versions, this time there was only one. Like the vision of the council and the tower."

Elrond sighed. "The future is not set in stone. It may well be that what you saw is what will happen, but it also may not. It does not do well to dwell on these futures while ignoring the present."

"I know, it is just hard not too, especially with what we are about out set out to do."

Her father went to say something but they were interrupted by the sound of footsteps coming down the stairs. Knowing it would be Legolas and Aragorn, they both got to their feet.

"Do you wish to tell them?" Elrond said in a hushed tone.

Amara shook her head as the others appeared at the bottom of the stairs.

Legolas walked straight over to her and took her hands. "Are you alright?"

"I am fine, I was just struggling to sleep so I thought a walk may clear my head and I did not realise how long I had been gone. I am sorry." She looked over to Aragorn as she apologised.

"No harm done." He bowed his head.

"Yes, now I suggest you all go and get some rest, you have a long journey ahead of you." Elrond said.