New Arrivals

The men of Gondor were the first to arrive in Rivendell five days later. There were four of them, all old and weathered apart from one. The son of the steward, Boromir, was the only one of fighting age in the mix. He arrived clad for battle in every aspect other than armour, carrying the horn of Gondor by his side.

Aragorn joined Amara where she stood on a balcony overlooking the gates. He looked uneasy as they regarded the men below. As Isildur's heir, he should be King of Gondor, but that was a path he had never shown any interest in travelling. Amara could understand why. Until the age of twenty he had no knowledge of his heritage, by his mothers wish. On learning of it he had travelled to the Dúnedain and the Rangers of the North, with no intention of claiming his birth right. He was terrified of making the same mistakes his ancestors had, terrified of failing his people.

Introductions were fast as Elrond told them that they had to wait for the others before the council could take place. The men seemed disgruntled but it quickly dispersed as they were offered food and wine.

Two days later, Amara was riding through the woods with Arwen. Both of them needed an escape from the prying eyes of the Gondor men. The horses moved with ease through the woods, ducking in and out of the tree line. They were riding back into Rivendell when Lindir suddenly came to a stop in front of them.

"Ladime Amara," He greeted. "the elves of Mirkwood have arrived."

Amara thanked him and hastily made her way to the front gates. It had been almost four months now since she had last seen him and every fibre of her being longed to be close to him . The elves were just riding through as she got there.

Legolas quickly dismounted and glanced around with eager eyes. A smile graced his features as he met her eyes. She quickly jumped down from her own horse and closed the gap between them and threw her arms around his neck. She smiled as she buried her head into his blond hair. He chuckled as one of his arms wrapped around her waist and the other disappeared into her dark hair.

"Mára arinya. (Good morning.)" Legolas breathed into her hair. Both of them were blissfully unaware of the other two elves dismounting and moving to greet Lord Elrond.

"I missed you." Amara murmured as she pulled back slightly and moved a hand to the side of his face.

He smiled and ducked his head to capture her lips in a chaste kiss; very aware now that her father was watching them. He pulled back and moved slightly so she was standing at his side. "Héru Elrond." He bowed his head before meeting the older elves eyes.

"It is good to see you." Elrond grasped one of Legolas' hands. "I will let you get settled. We have only to wait for the dwarves now before the council can commence and I am told they are not too far behind you."

Elrond bowed his head to them before moving off to show the other two elves to their chambers. The elves that took charge of the stables moved forward and led the horses away. Amara slipped her hand into Legolas' and began to lead him back to her chambers. The halls were mostly empty; most of the elves being distracted by their morning duties. Aragorn was stood on a balcony that overlooked the forest with a solemn look on his face. Amara and Legolas stopped and exchanged a glance of worry.

"What troubles you?" Amara asked taking a step forward.

"Only what may follow the council." Aragorn assured her before turning and smiling at Legolas. "Mui mellon."

Legolas rested his hand on Aragorn's shoulder with a smile. "Whatever may come to pass will include us all."

"Maybe that is why I am worried." Aragorn smiled sadly. "I will leave you both, I am sure you are weary after all that travel." He turned and walked away the way they had come.

"The men from Gondor arrived two days ago. He still worries he will make the same mistakes as his ancestors." Amara told Legolas, as his hand took hers again and they carried on walking.

"He is a good man, he could be a great king." Legolas said.

"That is a path he turned away from a long time ago."

They reached the door to Amara's rooms and went inside. Legolas dropped his bag onto the bed and began unpacking what little he had brought. Amara shrugged off her riding cloak, leaving her in her leggings and a short-sleeved tunic. She moved over to the window and found Aragorn's worries becoming her own. She jumped ever so slightly as Legolas' hand ghosted over her shoulder.

"What happened?" He asked, his hand tracing the grey lines along her arm.

"We were hunted by the Nazgûl from Bree all the way here. They cornered the hobbits on Weathertop and I was not thinking. I stabbed Angmar. My father says they will fade with time." Amara informed him.

"You are all alive, that is all that matters."

She sighed and lent back into him as one of his arms wrapped around her waist while the other kept on tracing. She tilted her head back onto his shoulder as his lips ghosted over her neck up to her ear. He pressed a kiss to the shell of her ear as her hands traced over his. She closed her eyes and allowed herself a moment of peace from what she knew was coming in the next few days.