A One Hundred and Eleventh Birthday Party

As the sky started to get dark, Bilbo's party was in full swing and food and ale was in excess. Amara had changed out of her travelling clothes into a simple silver-grey dress, removed her weapons and armour and let down her hair. However, there was still a knife strapped to her leg; she was far too aware that even the most peaceful places are not always safe.

She moved through the crowds with a cup of ale in hand talking to people as she went. No matter how much hobbits claimed to want nothing to do with the outside world, they always wanted stories of her various adventures (usually one in particular concerning thirteen dwarves, a hobbit and a dragon). Gandalf's fireworks kept exploding in the sky, raining down a myriad of different colours and creating many different shapes. There was an enormous cake and lots of dancing.

Amara laughed as Frodo and his friend Sam pulled her out onto the dance floor. It was a bit awkward with the height difference but they were having too much fun to really notice.

Amara and Frodo shared a glance as they noticed Sam look over to a hobbit by the name of Rosie Cotton for about the hundredth time. They shared a glance before pushing Sam over to her and watching as the pair started dancing. Amara and Frodo collected another glass of ale before taking a seat. Bilbo was making his way around the guests greeting everyone as he went. Gandalf set off more fireworks as Bilbo found himself sat in front of a group of children recounting the tale of the company of Thorin Oakenshield's encounter with several mountain trolls. Frodo and Amara managed to get Gandalf to dance for a while before he went back to his fireworks.

Gandalf was blissfully unaware of the fact that two young hobbits, Merry and Pippin, had stolen one of the larger fireworks. They were setting it up as Bilbo ran into Frodo and Amara and had them hide him from the Sackville-Bagginses. They were walking back to the party when the firework set off inside of a tent. The tent went with the firework as it climbed higher and higher into the sky. It exploded in the air and suddenly took on the shape of a dragon. The dragon looped around and dived at the party.

"Bilbo." Frodo said looking at the dragon as the old hobbit carried on walking. "Bilbo, watch out for the dragon!"

"Dragon? Nonsense there hasn't been a dragon in these parts for thousands of years." Bilbo was cut off as Amara pushed the three of them to the floor.

They watched as the dragon set off over the lake and turned into a small dot, before exploding outwards in a star of sparks. The hobbits all started cheering as Amara sat up and glared in Gandalf's direction. But the old wizard merely motioned towards Merry and Pippin, who he was holding by the ears. Gandalf hauled them over to the pot washing station for the rest of the night.

A little while later the hobbit's all started calling for a speech from Bilbo. Amara sat herself down next to Frodo as Bilbo clambered up onto a barrel that was stood at the edge of the field.

"My dear Bagginses and Boffins, Tooks and Brandybucks, Grubbs, Chubbs, Hornblowers, Bolgers, Bracegirdles, and Proudfoots." Bilbo started and after each name a group of hobbits would cheer. "Today is my 111th birthday!" More cheering and calls of happy birthday ensued. "But alas, eleventh-one years is far too short a time to live among such excellent and admirable hobbits. I don't know half as you as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." He was met with blank stares.

"I... erm... I have things to do." Bilbo continued as his hand found its way into his waistcoat pocket. He removed something and placed it behind his back. "I've put this off for far too long. I regret to announce, this is the end! I'm going now. I bid you all a very fond farewell." Bilbo locked eyes with Frodo and gave him a sad smile. "Goodbye." And with that he vanished.

Amara looked to Gandalf but he motioned for her to calm the hobbits who were all looking quite anxious. Gandalf set off towards Bag End straight away.