The Prancing Pony

Aragorn and Amara arrived at the Prancing Pony before Gandalf or the hobbits. They acquired two rooms and started waiting for them to arrive. It was four days later that the hobbits arrived but Gandalf was still no where to be seen. Amara was sat in her room attempting to write a letter to her father, to warn him but not give anything away if the letter was intercepted, when they arrived. Aragorn was sat at a hidden table in the corner of the inn, when four hobbits came through the door soaking wet. Initially he was confused; Amara had only told him that there would be two. He watched, hidden in shadow, as they asked the innkeeper if Gandalf was here. When they received news that he wasn't, they asked the innkeeper to prepare a room before finding a table and ordered some drinks. Aragorn did not dare leave and alert Amara for fear that one of the unsavoury figures in the inn may try something. Instead he sat and waited, knowing she had promised she would be down soon enough.

A little while later, one of the hobbits went to the bar and began to very loudly, drunkenly talk with some of the other people.

"Baggins. Baggins? Sure, I know a Baggins!" The hobbit at the bar suddenly announced turning to point at Frodo. "He's over there. Frodo Baggins. He's my second cousin once removed on his mother's side."

Aragorn got to his feet as Frodo made his way across to the bar. Frodo reached the other hobbit and as he swung round to look at Frodo, he accidently knocked Frodo to the floor. As Frodo fell the ring slipped from his grasp and as he tried to catch it again it slipped onto his finger. Everyone gasped in shock as Frodo vanished. As soon as he reappeared Aragorn grabbed him and hauled him to his feet.

"You draw far too much attention to yourself, Mr Underhill." Aragorn said before pushing Frodo up the stairs and into his room.

"What do you want?" Frodo asked as he clambered to his feet.

"A little more caution from you. That's no trinket you carry." Aragorn said as he walked towards the window.

"I carry nothing."

"Indeed." Aragorn agreed as he extinguished the candles in the room. "I can avoid being seen if I wish, but to disappear entirely, that is a rare gift." Aragorn finally dropped his hood.

"Who are you?" Frodo asked.

"Are you frightened?" Aragorn countered.

Frodo paused. "Yes."

"Not nearly frightened enough. I know what hunts you." Aragorn said.

The door opened and Aragorn drew his sword to be met with Amara holding her long knives and three hobbits armed with various objects. She had run into the three of them on her way down to find Aragorn.

"Let him go! Or I'll have you, Longshanks!" Sam called as both Amara and Aragorn sheathed their weapons.

"With the way they described you, I thought you were a wraith." Amara said with relief.

Aragorn smiled at her before turning to Sam. "You have a stout heart, little hobbit. But that will not save you."

"We can no longer wait for Gandalf, Frodo. They're coming." Amara said.

Amara and Aragorn quickly collected the hobbits things before moving them to another inn further into the town of Bree for the night. Sam, Merry and Pippin quickly fell asleep in the one bed as Frodo sat on the edge. Amara and Aragorn sat next to the window. Watching as the Ringwraiths fell for their diversion. The wraiths screeches of anger woke the three hobbits from their slumber.

"What are they?" Frodo asked.

"They were once men. Great kings of men." Aragorn tore his eyes from the window to look at the terrified hobbits. "Then Sauron the Deceiver gave to them nine rings of power. Blinded by their greed, they took them without question. One by one falling into darkness. Now they are slaves to his will."

"They are the Nazgûl, Ringwraiths. Neither living nor dead." Amara said as she watched the black riders climb back onto their horses and depart. "At all time they feel the presence of the ring. Drawn to the power of the One."

Aragorn glanced from her to the hobbits. "They will never stop hunting you."