Until There Comes A Day When We Sell Our Souls Away! (Part 4)

Oh, Ev'ry Judas Once Loved A Jesus!

Does anyone read the chapter titles?

Part 4 of 7

---------------------------------------------

"George, what the fuck is happening?"

"I don't know."

It's not the first time Sapnap asks George that, and it probably won't be the last, no matter how many times the older man has affirmed knowing as much as him.

They both don't know what to think. Weeks ago, life was good. They finally had a home to call theirs, finally able to let go of their endless wandering, and were surrounded by people they love. Even Dream, the most free spirited of them, seemed happy, if the always present smile and the obvious affections for a certain General were anything to go by. They had finally let go of the uncertainty of the nomad lifestyle, for the first time in their lives feeling completely safe to let go and just enjoy the days as they came.

Now their life sounds like a complicated tale invented by a looney storyteller.

"Dream can't be dead. That, at least, I know."

"Which means Wilbur was lying... Why, though?"

"To save him?"

"Yes, but why, Sapnap? Why would he save a criminal?"

"... We don't even know if Dream was the one to do it."

And isn't that the truth.

The thing about Dream is that he is quite the asshole, but he is not heartless. There is a very big chance he didn't do it, and if he did do it, he would have a very good reason for it. And, so, the duo can't help but be filled with doubt.

"We should go after Dream."

"If Jschlatt puts his hands on him—"

"He won't." Sapnap's dark eyes glint orange, and George can almost see the flames of the Nether thrashing inside his pupils. It lasts for only a second, but it's enough to burn away the older man's doubts.

"Yeah- yeah, we need to..." He sighs, hand gently caressing the wall of their living room, the wall the three of them had built together during the warm summer days.

Going after Dream could mean turning their backs on everything they have been in love with since the beginning of their travels, since they finally got out of their hellish dimension and explored the joys of the Overworld. But, on another hand, Dream is the one who saved them, who helped them, who protected them, who taught them. Dream is the reason they are here in the first place, and to betray him like this would be the greatest offence.

"We need to at least hear his side of the story." He decides, his own eyes shining crimson behind his glasses.

In the end, they are going to chase dreams again. The irony.