11

3rd July

Yoongi's eyes shot open as pain spread through his elbow. He'd whacked it against the side of Jimin's bed in his sleep. Jimin's bed. He sat upright and looked around, suddenly remembering that he'd stayed over at Jimin's house last night after Mrs Park had insisted. Sagwa stirred against him but remained asleep, curled up against his hip. On the bed, Jimin was still asleep and snoring lightly, his face squished into the pillow at a funny angle so that he looked like an angry marshmallow. Yoongi would have chuckled but he didn't want to wake him up.

A glance at the alarm clock told him that it was 6.37 am. Time to get ready for school, he sighed to himself. Then he frowned. It was a Saturday. His head fell back onto the pillow in relief, hurting his head in the process as he'd forgotten how hard the thin mattress that separated him from the floor was. As he stared at the plain cream ceiling, his mind drifted to Kris's warning. He would be back, and if Yoongi wasn't in his flat, Kris wouldn't be afraid to knock on Jimin's door. There was no way he could risk that. Jimin was totally innocent and his only mistake was allowing Yoongi into his life and being his friend. His only downfall was his kindness.

Yoongi carefully folded the duvet and placed it in a neat pile on the mattress, placing the pillow tidily on top. He took a stick-it note from the desk and wrote a short note to Jimin, telling him he had to go home, and stuck it gently on the sleeping boy's forehead, feeling impulsively humorous for the first time in a long time. Jimin didn't even stir. Yoongi tiptoed downstairs, clipped on Sagwa's lead, located the key on the side table and let himself out, locking the door from the outside and posting the key back through the letterbox to fall quietly onto the doormat.

He walked home extremely quickly, nervous that Kris would somehow beat him there, despite it being 7 in the morning and not even knowing which day he was going to show up. He sighed and made himself some breakfast, sitting at the table and crunching it loudly in the silent flat. It felt so empty after being at Jimin's home. It was only Jimin and his mother living there, but they seemed to be so close that the atmosphere always felt warm and relaxed. The conversation over dinner hadn't been stilted and awkward, surprisingly, and Yoongi had even found himself engaging in it and asking questions. It was something he'd never experienced before: dinner with a friend and his friend's mother. He'd never had friends in school like that - although he'd had Sihyuk, whom he'd spent an entire 6 months of his life in a room with - and the only other two friends like that he'd had in his life had been orphans, like him.

Being at the table last night, he'd almost felt what it was like to be part of a family and it felt so warm and happy, and seeing how much love there was between Jimin and his mother, it was like he had realised what he'd been missing this whole time. He'd never known his parents. He'd been in the orphanage since he was a baby, and he wasn't allowed to know anything about where he came from. He'd stopped believing in his own lie about the car accident when he was 14, after he'd tried googling car accidents, and nothing came up that matched. After he'd become friends with Soohyun, he'd realised that it was useless to miss people he'd never met, and he should just make the most of the family he'd gained in the orphanage. And now he had lost both of them. He was 22 years old, and he truly had no family left, only Sagwa.

As if the weather was in tune with his thoughts, it began to rain outside, hammering loudly on the windows. He stood up and walked over to the window which overlooked the trees along the edge of the park, watching the storm clouds roll in.

An hour later, the storm had intensified, and the thunder had gotten loud enough to make Sagwa jump and cower under Yoongi's arm. At this point, the knock on the door was completely anticipated. He'd been waiting for it since he got back. He sighed and lifted Sagwa carefully off the sofa and took him into the bedroom, placing him on the bed and tucking a blanket over his shaking little body. He clearly wasn't a fan of storms, but Yoongi could guarantee he'd be even less of a fan of Kris and his men.