13

4th July (continued)

One thing that Yoongi had deliberately neglected to tell Jimin on their walk home was that the gang had invited - well, ordered - Yoongi to hang out with them that evening. He was supposed to meet them in a soju tent a few streets away from the school, although he wondered why when he considered that most of them were underage. When Yoongi had asked 'why a soju tent?' earlier on, Jinyoung had simply shrugged and told him that you can make good money there if you play your cards right.

Inside the tent, the gang were already sitting around a table, bottles of soju opened and emptied in front of them. Yoongi took the remaining empty seat between Mark and BamBam quietly and tried to go unnoticed. He didn't like this gang much. The younger ones seemed alright, but that was probably just because they were newer to this sort of gang life, but they were all so loud. It did his head in sitting with them at lunch because they were constantly yelling. It was honestly worse than sitting with Jimin's friends. At least they kept it all at the table, but these guys were yelling and wolf whistling at girls all over the canteen.

Unfortunately, he didn't go completely unnoticed at the table and was soon handed a drink. He had no problem with drinking, in fact he was quite good at it. He had the highest tolerance of anyone he knew, even higher than Yongguk and Himchan, so these kids weren't a problem for him if they were trying to get him drunk or to loosen up.

It wasn't long before a fight started at another table between two very well-dressed but very drunk men. JB and Jackson suddenly stood up and made their way over, and Yoongi could hear them offering their assistance to the men, before leading - or dragging - them both out of the tent, to the relief of the owner. Ten minutes later, JB and Jackson returned to their seats without the two men. The gang all clapped like the pair were heroes and Yoongi frowned in confusion, until JB opened his pocket to reveal a wad of cash from the men's wallets.

Yoongi watched as JB counted it out under the table and divided it, handing a small pile to everyone at the table, although his own pile seemed to be twice the size. Surprisingly, a pile was thrown down in front of Yoongi and everyone turned to stare at him, waiting to see what his reaction would be. Ordinarily, he would pocket the money without a second thought, however it seemed unfair to him how Jackson only got half of what JB got when they did the job together. He had no problem with them stealing money from drunk businessmen, but if it had been him who stole it, he would have delivered a fair division of the reward.

"Jackson did the same job as you, so why do you have twice the reward?" He asked coolly. He truly hated unfairness, probably due to growing up in an orphanage where kids would constantly fight each other to get the most food.

JB visibly seethed at Yoongi's dig at his leadership. "Fine, if that's how you want it," he shrugged and swiped the Yoongi's cut from in front of him and handed it to Jackson. "Then that's how it will be."

Yoongi simply sighed, unphased. "Whatever." He took a shot of soju.

Mark frowned beside him. "You know, you're really not how I expected you to be," he commented as the gang began to talk again around them.

"What did you expect then?" Yoongi asked, downing another shot easily.

"I don't know," Mark said. "Someone tough and powerful. But you're just..."

"Weak?" JB suggested from his seat across the table, a cruel grin spread across his face. "It's going to be hard to convince anyone that you're our leader if you're like this."

Yoongi scoffed and pushed his chair back, standing up in irritation. "I'm not here because I want to be. Just do what you've got to do and say what you've got to say, I don't care. I'm done for tonight." He took his wallet out and slapped a stack of notes in the middle of the table. "For your drinks, lads. See you at school, and try not to get too hungover, eh?" He walked away, satisfied that he could feel JB bristling with anger behind him.